Freenas raid 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inssomniak

Cadet
Hey all, is it still possible to run a plain old software raid 5 with freenas 8.04?
I was looking at a 3x2tb raid 5 to give me 4tb of space, but I do some reading about how I need 6 gigs of ram and lots of CPU.
My server is 3 gigs of ram and a P4 3ghz.

Am I gonna have to upgrade my server?

ProtoSD

MVP
Hey all, is it still possible to run a plain old software raid 5 with freenas 8.04?

Not with FreeNAS 8, ZFS raidz1 is the equivalent, but you need more RAM. You can get by with 4GB of RAM, but you run into problems with less, especially when 8.2 is released.

I was looking at a 3x2tb raid 5 to give me 4tb of space, but I do some reading about how I need 6 gigs of ram and lots of CPU.
My server is 3 gigs of ram and a P4 3ghz.

Am I gonna have to upgrade my server?

You're going to need to at some point. You could use UFS, but there's not raid or mirroring.

You could create a pool of mirrors and start with one mirror and then add sets of 2 disks to the pool. It's not a bad way to start out. I think with ZFS mirrors you *might* be able to skimp on the memory for a little while.

Inssomniak

Cadet
Thx for reply.

I can go to 4 gigs of ram. Its just a media server for home use to a few media players. I imagine I will try it and see how it goes with raidz1

ProtoSD

MVP
Yes, it is a very annoying issue that happens at random times... Last night was the worst. Posts would reappear as fast as I could delete them. I even logged out and used a different browser. Sorry about that!

Status
Not open for further replies.