SOLVED FreeNAS not booting - already second set of hardware - no idea how to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

garf_de

Cadet
Hello Everybody,

I am desperately trying to get FreeNAS to work - now i have bought the second set of HW:
Asus P9D-i Board plus ECC capable CPU
16 GB ECC Memory
LSI00244 9201-16i
8x WD Red 4 TB (connected to LSI)
4x SSD Samsung 256 Pro (L2ARC, ZIL) (connected to LSI)
1x SSD Samsung 256 Pro for FreeNAS (connected to on-board HBA)
USB DVD-Rom

Unfortunately, now i have the problem that already the installer fails. I thought it is related to my disks, so I have unplugged all HDDs - still the same issue.
Booting from CD (Installer- Version 11 Stable) but then crashing with the continuously rolling error message:
Code:
g_vfs_done():md0.uzip[READ(offset=1698042496, length=8192)error  = 6
ELF interpreter /libexed/ld-elf.so.1 not found, error 6
Abort trap
g_vfs_done():md0.uzip[READ(offset=1698042496, length=8192)error  = 6
ELF interpreter /libexed/ld-elf.so.1 not found, error 6
Abort trap

... etc.

I have already spent large amounts of money and time on this - does anyone know what this may be ?
I am considering installing Windows on the box as i do not get anywhere - this is my third try in over 12 months to get this working on an entire set of new HW - so far without success. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

F.

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
Instead of booting from a USB CD, why not use the IPMI (iKVM) built into the board and mount the CD image?

Also, regarding your specs. You do not need an L2ARC. You only have 16GB RAM and an L2ARC should only be considered once you reach 128GB RAM or more.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

garf_de

Cadet
Hi !
I bought the mainboard around one year ago specifically for FreeNAS - back by the time guides said you should have ECC memory - and this seemed the best option around.
As well, I bought the controller based on the recommendations found.
For the CD-Rom, i have no idea how to mount a CD via IPMI on the other side and thought it is just easiest if i plug in a USB CDRom - or is there indication that this may be the issue?

Cheers

F.

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It is trying and failing to read data from a memory disk device. This would suggest a corrupted installer. I would suggest installing from a memory stick.

garf_de

Cadet
Hi !
Thanks for the hint - i think the problem is in this direction. I now used YUMI / Generic Grub to put the ISO on a USB Key - now it is booting, but gets stuck with:
Code:
 mountroot: Waiting for device: /iso/9660/FreeNAS/ 

Any further idea ?

garf_de

Cadet
Ok - i have used now imagewriter and it now works - this all were problems with the boot media.
Now i will continue setting it up.
THANKS for helping out !
Cheers
F.

Status
Not open for further replies.