FreeNAS no Route to host for some but not every Website/Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babo96

Dabbler
Hello FreeNAS Community,

today I switched from using SABnzbd in a VM to the Plugin Jail, but when I tried to add a server I got a "no route to host" exception, so I was wondering and tried to ping the address from within the jail with zero success.
I then pinged it from my desktop in the same network which worked perfectly fine.
The ping from the FreeNAS Host also fails, but a ping on google works perfectly fine.

So in summary:

FreeNAS Host: Google connection works
Usenet.farm ping does not work (no route to host)

Same Network other PC: all Websites work

Thanks in advance

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ping to Google is confusing. But normally that error means you need to add a gateway address and possibly nameservers under the networking setting on freenas and possibly your jail if it doesn't pick it up from the host.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Babo96

Dabbler
Gateway and Nameserver are set, ping to google is working in both, Host and Jail. Very confusing

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I don't know if you can actually ping Usenet.farm? I sure can't from my desktop, i get 100% packet loss. So it's not responding to icmp packets. Can you ping other hosts besides google? Try freebsd.org?

Babo96

Dabbler
jg36QPJ.png

I can, but it seems like it is using ipv6, do you think that may be the problem?

p.S. Sorry for german windows but I think ping on windows is still usable like this

Edit: fixed link to picture

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The FreeNAS server can ping the freebsd.org address? Does that also say you got 25% packet loss? You should always have zero packet loss. If you don't something is probably wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Babo96

Dabbler
I redid the ping and got 100% (must have been only the first try)

Freebsd.org works fine and some other popular addresses like facebook, FreeNAS etc are also working

Babo96

Dabbler
I think I found the problem, I could not fix them but maybe you could help me.
The problem seems to be that my Desktop resolves the address to an ipV6 one and my FreeNAS machine tries ipV4, so I only need to configure ipV6 on my FreeNAS machine, my router, as well as my provider, are supporting ipV6.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Should just work if you check the box in FreeNAS and in the jail. Strange that your Usenet only supports ipv6. That limits its usability substantially.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Babo96

Dabbler
Ok I have to try tomorrow, interestingly it should support ipV4 but it does not seem to work for me

p.S. ok i had to try today =D it works now weird stuff but it works so I'm fine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.