FreeNAS keeps reboot if N54L RAID enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wong KY

Dabbler
Dear all,

I got my N54L 2 days ago, since my original plan is using all 4 harddisk as a RAID set , then install FREENAS into usb flash drive for better performance.

howerver, i found i cant not install after enable RAID in BIOS.
and same result appears even install FREENAS in AHCI mode first., then change to RAID afterward.

please advise~
thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Why are you trying to do that? I think you should maybe go read the documentation for FreeNAS. You don't want or need their crummy RAID.

Wong KY

Dabbler
what do you mean ?
but i'm wondering the performance when comparing embedded hardware raid and software raid by freenas.....

gpsguy

The RAID in your N54L is Fake RAID.

jgreco's an expert on the forum. While he has expensive server hardware in his shop, he does have a N36L to play with. I run FreeNAS on a N40L and and ESXi 5.1 on a 54.

btw, how much RAM did you buy? I've got 16Gb of ECC RAM in my N54L and recognizes all the RAM on every boot.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
what do you mean ?
but i'm wondering the performance when comparing embedded hardware raid and software raid by freenas.....

There's no embedded hardware RAID in your setup. What you have is a gadget that uses some SATA ports and, if I recall correctly, AMD's RAIDXpert driver along with a custom BIOS to provide software RAID. You can absolutely jam a hardware RAID controller in there though. Our N36L is populated with an IBM ServeRAID BR10i crossflashed to IR mode, which services a 6 bay 2.5"-to-5.25" in the optical bay. A pair of cheap SSD's for the OS in RAID1, an Intel 320 for ZIL (because we do writes over NFS from ESXi), and a random MLC SSD for dedup L2ARC, plus two free bays. The built-in SATA ports are fine for the 3.5" bays; ZFS thrives on that.

btw, how much RAM did you buy? I've got 16Gb of ECC RAM in my N54L and recognizes all the RAM on every boot.

A double vote for as much RAM as you can cram into that N54L.

Status
Not open for further replies.