FREENAS case

Status
Not open for further replies.

dztrbd

Dabbler
Hi all. Just about to pick up my case for my build. The case I'm looking at is a lian li pc d8000 http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/7775/ it seems to be the perfect fit. Anyone see a reason why not. Holds 20 hdd with space for heaps of cooling. Can also do dual psu. It's a bit on the expensive side but quality over cost hey.
Thanks for your help. Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yatti420

Wizard
I like it.. Any alternatives to this case?

Richman

Patron
Darn near 2 ft. sq. it should closely resemble a washing machine. Where you plan to put it? Launry room, right next to the dryer?:D

dztrbd

Dabbler
Hahaha. It's bloody fantastic. Since I don't own my place. No point putting in a rack mount. Not to mention that its heaps cheaper and fills my requirements a lot more. Plus it looks great.

Yatti420

Wizard
It is pricey however.. I want something that can atleast hold some drives..

dztrbd

Dabbler
That's the thing about this case. It holds 20 drives stock. If you added some cages you could get a crap load more in there. To get that many storage spots with a great cooling solution with filters and whatnot it would cost a LOT LOT more. I understand what you mean by it being pricey but when you look at how much you spend on drives and all that it's not so bad. Plus it's lian li so it will last a life time. You will be able to use it till computers become quantum.

dztrbd

Dabbler
Well me for a start. And don't forget about expansion into the future. I have well over 100 blue rays and who knows how many dvds to keep on it. So that right there is over 10 Tbs plus thousands of raw fotos. And I also keep heaps of backups plus every update I need for windows and all the programs I have so when I reinstall I don't have to download it again. And it's the same for my different versions of Linux I use. The space disappears before you know it. And I'm not as much a power user as some.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And ahhhhh......who needs that many drives.....um......,at home?

Who cares! Do it because you can!

You've been reduced 2 ranks in geekness. Return to your post!

Richman

Patron
I have well over 100 blue rays and who knows how many dvds to keep on it.
100 BluRays at 8GB each = 800GB
that right there is over 10 Tbs
Naa, don't sound like it
And I also keep heaps of backups plus every update I need for windows
Oh, yeh now your talking. Windows is a hog for sure and I can understand 20 disks now. LOL :rolleyes: Almost serious there really Windows is a hog on just about any resource. This system I had to put 2 more GB of RAm just to be happy. It only has 6GB and I thought I would never say only 6GB for just general purpose. I have the parts here to build my next one with 8GB RAM and that probably isn't enough for a decent Window experience. That's why I Love Linux and rather use that most of the time.

Who cares! Do it because you can!

You've been reduced 2 ranks in geekness. Return to your post!

Oh Noooooooooooooo. Damn you CJ. I need to get my two levels back. Ah how bout this. i was thinking a couple months ago of making a server rack in my basement with a couple servers to play with, console, 24 port switch, maybe KVM box, ...... just for the hell of it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Uh.. none of my Blu-Rays have ever been 8GB. Most are 20-50GB.

And thinking about building that.. meh.. build it and post pictures.. then you'll get your levels back.

Richman

Patron
And thinking about building that.. meh.. build it and post pictures.. then you'll get your levels back.

Um...... ok how bout this. I have to access all of my local files right now through a browser on my Windows box because I ran out of memory and my start menu and explorer.exe stopped working. Restarted explorer.exe fixed it the 1st two times but now that doesn't work and I am just to lazy to reboot at the moment.
Huhh ehh ........ that has to be worth 1/2 a point.:mad: No maybe at least a whole point ....'Resorting to a workaround to fix Windows memory issues' ???? huh, huh??

Starpulkka

Contributor
I was lookin this case for my next project, cooling is important for hdds and that case it got lots of it. Case is a bit pricey but it offers lot of room. My thoughts was if i put 20hdds how much it would be heavy, hdds would be 12kg and the rest so not too heavy. Next thing what i was thinkin that i would put a on switch to a second psu so it wont pull too much amppers on the ups socket. Might work even on single on switch but my mind likes to be safer side.(if you got low voltages already from ups socket psu might not able being compensate at spike start). Also here got lots of raw pictures and those wedding videos etc. witch takes lot of space, windows in these days is able to read raw pictures. Havin too thinkin build nas case to myself, because i have seen those norco case burned up so norco cases is out from my house.
Edit:Some motherboards have delayed hdd start, my genuineintel motherboard was it but it didnt seem to work as i would have liked.

dztrbd

Dabbler
100 BluRays at 8GB each = 800GB

Naa, don't sound like it
Yeah my brain went full retard there. But it sure as shit doesnt come out at 800GB.

166 Blue rays x an avg. of 25GB = 4150gb
200+ dvd's x avg of 8GB = 1600GB+
1000GB of steam library backups
1GB Backups done weekly and kept for a year. 52GB+
Plus incremented snapshots done 3 times a day.Kept for a month. 90GB+
All updates for every prog i have kept incase I need to nuke from orbit and reinstall. Which I'd like to do more often.
And thousands upon thousands of fotos and vids. All in RAW format which eats the space up.
My pc has 14tb of drives, plus 2 ssd's. I have 2 tb spare out of that. They all are red in the Computer window. So i want to get rid of all that off my pc so i can throw on the 2 other ssds i have and get rid of the mech drives.

So I dont need that 20 drives now. But i will in the future, so no point getting another case in two years.

Richman

Patron
My pc has 14tb of drives, plus 2 ssd's. I have 2 tb spare out of that. They all are red in the Computer window. So i want to get rid of all that off my pc so i can throw on the 2 other ssds i have and get rid of the mech drives.

So I dont need that 20 drives now. But i will in the future, so no point getting another case in two years.
Your a GB hog, HDD junkie, disk molester. I'm keeping my HDD's away from you. In fact I'm filing a restraining order.:(
166 Blue rays x an avg. of 25GB = 4150gb
Yeh , I forgot they are huge and was thinking that they were on a double layer DVD r something and only 8gb each. Tihs is why I don't want to ripping my own BlluRay DVD''d in original format and backing them up. There are better formats that are smaller.
1000GB of steam library backups
Stream video from where? Why does it need backed up?
1GB Backups done weekly and kept for a year. 52GB+
OS Windows 7 back-ups? What software? Windows?
Plus incremented snapshots done 3 times a day.Kept for a month. 90GB+
Incremental? Sound like you use aftermarket software. What do you use?
All updates for every prog i have kept incase ................
CONFUSED:confused:
.................. incase I need to nuke from orbit and reinstall. Which I'd like to do more often.
I thought that was what doing snapshots or back-ups were for ........ to re-install. Or doess 'nuke from orbit' mean something else?
And thousands upon thousands of fotos and vids. All in RAW format which eats the space up.
RAW ............... cook'em up. Just kidding. You must be a photographer or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.