FreeNAS btsync Web GUI password

Status
Not open for further replies.

jachin

Cadet
I recently installed the btsync on my FreeNAS box. Everything seems to be working fine, but I went back to log-in to the btsync web GUI and I can't remember the password. I must have forgotten to save it anywhere.

How do I reset the btsync web GUI password?

btsync: 1.3.94
freenas: 9.2.1.5

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know... support for software inside the jails are found with that given application. We don't support the actual software in the jails here. ;)

jachin

Cadet
I don't know... support for software inside the jails are found with that given application. We don't support the actual software in the jails here. ;)

That's fair.

Do you know if there's a list somewhere of people who are "responsible" for Jails? Like a "maintainer" or something like that?

I found this page, but it doesn't say who's maintaining which jails.
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Available_FreeNAS®_PBIs

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
freenas plugin developers / maintainers don't support the regular functioning of plugins. their job is to get plugins running ontop of freenas jails including plugin installation.

what you are asking is not an issue specifically related to btsync running on freenas but a general btsync question. you should be asking this on the btsync forums.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your question is like asking Microsoft how to reset your password for World of Warcraft. Sure, the application runs on their OS, but Microsoft has no control with what you do with the software.

jachin

Cadet
Your question is like asking Microsoft how to reset your password for World of Warcraft. Sure, the application runs on their OS, but Microsoft has no control with what you do with the software.

Not quite. For instance if I'm running Ubuntu and I want to know how to configure Apache I go to Ubuntu's documentation. If I'm running Apache on FreeBSD I go to FreeBSD's documentation. Sure, Apache has it's own documentation/community, but what I really want when I'm getting started is information on how a particular operating system is organized and what decisions they made about how commonly used software is usually setup.

I assumed btsync is commonly run on FreeNAS because it's part of a small list of plugins. Also, the word "plugin" implies a special relationship.

As I see it, this isn't just a question about btsync, it's a question about how btsync works in FreeNAS.

For instance with bysync I know that one way it can be configured with a json settings file and the settings file can have the password for the web GUI. So where did the person who made the FreeNAS jail decide was the best place to put it?

After some searching I found it, but the password isn't stored there.

Code:
 JAIL_ROOT./usr/pbi/btsync-amd64/etc/btsync.conf

The only other thing I've found so far is a settings.dat file that appears to hold the hashed password.

Code:
JAIL_ROOT./var/db/btsync/settings.dat

Anyway, Joshua... I will take your advice and ask the btsync community.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right, the only problem though is that while the Microsoft forum has a huge number of admins and others with experience to answer, we're limited to about 10 people tops, with 5 or 6 of them forum mods. So we have to pick and choose our battles, and we've basically had to ignore what goes on inside the jail framework. Many people have had good luck with the FreeBSD forums. They have much much more experience and many more people available to help people out with issues just like yours. If we had the manpower I'd happy try figuring stuff like this out. Even if I don't have the problem it would definitely be a learning experience and I hate passing those up. But, due to our lack of resources we have to do what we can. :P

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.