FreeNAS as SAN for Vmware Cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slu

Dabbler
Hello Everyone,

So I am currently running two test servers. One with ESXi installed and a virtual machine version of Ubuntu(15gb allocated to it) on it. The other is running FreeNAS.

What I want to do now is create a new virtual disk using one of my freeNAS zvols. However I am unsure as to how to add another virtual disk to my Ubuntu virtual machine using that zvol.

I created a datastore using that zvol. Then I went through the add Hardware wizard on vSphere Client for the Ubuntu virtual machine, selected create new virtual disk >> Selected the datastore I created and create it.

However, when I power up my Ubuntu share and navigate to system monitor, I only see the original hard disk space I allocated to it when I originally created it. It's like it does not see the new virtual disk I created.

I also tried using Raw Device Mappings, but that too yielded the same result and I'm unsure what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Summary: Attempting to add space from my FreeNAS SAN to ESXi virtual machine by creating a new virtual disk on said machine but I don't see it expanding the space on it. Not sure what to do.

Thank you!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You need to go to the volume manager inside ubuntu and add the disk there.

Also, you don't need to have a 1:1 relationship between the zvol and each vm disk. Meaning that you could create a 1TB zvol, present that to ESX, and then carve that up into multiple VMDKs (15gb for the base os, and whatever you need for the data disk).

Slu

Dabbler
lol. Wow, I feel like a fool.

I did not realize I needed to go and mount it on the operating system itself. I should have figured it worked just likea normal hard drive, but I assumed it would just pick it up after I added it on VM.

Thank you for your kindness sir. Everyday I learn something new!

Status
Not open for further replies.