FreeNAS and a windows shared folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danubio

Cadet
I have an external USB disc connected to a windows Server 2008. Inside that disc I have a shared folder. I've mounted that shared folder on freenas.

So my problem is:
when I try to mount that folder on my Ubuntu with NFS i get access denied.

The command I'm using is: mount -t nfs [IP]:[shared folder path] [folder to mount]

Do i need to do something else in the command? or in the freenas? or even in the shared folder?

Thank you
(Sorry about my bad English)

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Danubio,

No apology needed, your English is perfect.

I'm confused about what you're trying to do. Let me try to verify what you explained.

You're sharing your USB disc from Windows Server and mounting it on FreeNAS, then you are sharing it from FreeNAS to Ubuntu??

If that is true, why don't you mount the shared folder from Windows Server directly to Ubuntu?

What is the role of FreeNAS?

Can you confirm which version of FreeNAS you are using?

-- Proto

Danubio

Cadet
I need to backup 1TB of Virtual machines. The USB disc is connected to the Windows Server and it cannot be disconnected from there. I said Ubuntu because there is where I'm performing the tests. The actual purpose of the sharing and mounting thing is supposed to be done in the VMWare ESXi with a script that only uses NFS. And this is why the need to go all this way

Also the version I'm using is 0.7.1

ProtoSD

MVP
OK, that makes sense.

These forums are for FreeNAS version 8. Version .7 and 8 are quite different and have different developers as well as their own forums. You can find a link for the FreeNAS 7 (.7) forums at the top of the page. Since they are different forums, you'll need to re-register for an account there and repost your question. If you decide to upgrade or have questions about how to upgrade, please come back and someone will try to help you.

Here is the link for the FreeNAS 7 forums in case you don't find the link at the top of the page ;)
http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.