FreeNas 9.3 afp/smb speed problem on OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.

klierik

Cadet
Good day.

Can you help me please with speed problem..
I have: FreeNas 9.3 it installed on USB3.0 flash and based on Intel Nuc i5 PC.

So i create SMB/AFP share and test it with MacBook 2013 via WiFi (450 Mbit/s connection) with rsync.
The speed is ~5MB/s (~40Mbit/s) for both of them

Can anyone tell me please what's wrong with my NAS? (

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Can anyone tell me please what's wrong with my NAS?
Your hardware appears to be a poor match for FreeNAS. I suggest you spend some time reading the stickies in the various Help & Support sub-forums, starting with the hardware recommendations.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
A couple of obvious things:
  • i5 doesn't support ECC RAM
  • FreeNAS doesn't play nicely with USB 3.0
  • you're testing over WiFi
While only the last is obviously going to impact network performance, it's still a poor choice for FreeNAS. Please read the hardware recommendations.

klierik

Cadet
oh... you mean my hardware too poor for FreeNas OS? :(((( i'm understand you. So i`m need to use some other os (maybe Ubuntu? or maybe you can recommend something other?).
btw, after 3-5 days NAS On looks like USB3 flash drive died (it was completely ned and i bought it for NAS only) :(

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
you mean my hardware too poor for FreeNas OS?
Not exactly, just not very suitable for FreeNAS.
maybe Ubuntu? or maybe you can recommend something other?
Ubuntu or a derivative might be a good choice, it depends on what you want to do. If you want more suggestions, consider asking in the Off-topic sub-forum.
looks like USB3 flash drive died
Early failure of USB drives is quite common, many are of very low quality. If you were using it for data and not just for the boot volume, it's even less surprising.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you add your SSD to your zpool as a cache/zlog drive to make it faster?
lol no this is not the problem and won't help with performance in this build. The problem here is the fact that they are using wifi, if you want ease of use then wifi is for you. But don't have any expectations of any kind of performance. If you use ethernet then you can expect good performance and if not then you can look into the server hardware as the next issue.

Your hardware isn't the best for FreeNAS. If you explain your use cases then some of us can probably give you some suggestions of other OS/solutions that might work best for you.

On Wireless AC, I get around 20MB to 30MB copy transfer and this is with a SSD Zlog, and on hard wired 1gbe I get around 110MB on write transfer. I think that wireless internet is just good for streaming media only.

On my 2 HTPC DVR PC's with my Ceton cards, I can stream 2 video HD recording no problem. However it comes to file copying to my NAS via WiFi AC, I cannot get over the 30MB/sec transfer rate!

klierik

Cadet
Did you add your SSD to your zpool as a cache/zlog drive to make it faster?
FreeNas was installed on flash drive(Sandisk Cruzer Ultra Fit 32Gb (SDCZ43-032G-G46)), not ssd. Server was ON ~1 week and then i reboot it (there was no any usage, it was just switch on and thats it). I try reboot server and than OS died. I don`t know why :(
After that i format flash drive and install Ubuntu Server 14 on it...

Yes, I am running a Intel 80GB DC3510 SSD for my cache/zlog for my Raid Z2 WD Red 3TB x 7 Drive for writing to the drive pools.

For my ARC cache device for reading, I'm using a Intel 240GB Pro 2500.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Performance of wireless networks will always be less than advertised. A few points:

1) always have a wired connection between freenas server and switch (or home gateway thingy).

2) use iperf to test the actual max speed you can get over your network.

3) WiFi is convenient, but performance will always be of varying degrees of suck.

4) verify that you *actually* will benefit from a SLOG or L2ARC before adding. Throwing money at problems is usually a poor solution. Exhibit A: US government.

Status
Not open for further replies.