freenas 9.2.1.8 on esxi 5.5 u2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike-

Cadet
Hi,

I've installed freenas on esxi 5.5 u2 and after finishing it says that no configured interfaces were found.
Any idea/recommendations ?

leenux_tux

Patron
Mike-

Ok. You posted your question around half three this afternoon, UK time anyway. No response. Until now. Im going to be kind and not rip you to shreds.

Please take time to read the stickies. Especially around how to ask questions. If your hoping to use virtualization to run FreeNAS in production environment your on to a loser, as far as getting a "nice" response is concerned. If your looking to test FreeNAS you may get more help.

You really need to be way more specific about your issues. Your asking "I dropped a ball and it bounced 3 feet, why”.

Mike-

Cadet
Hi,

Thank you for your ironically answer.
I'm going to use it for test purpose. IF you think i should have been more specific, please enlight me on what else i could have said.
You can delete this post thread.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi,

Thank you for your ironically answer.
I'm going to use it for test purpose. IF you think i should have been more specific, please enlight me on what else i could have said.
You can delete this post thread.

He's not being ironic.

You've given absolutely none of the required information, except for the FreeNAS version. You read the forum rules when you signed up, right (you claimed you did, there's a checkbox)?
They specifically ask for your hardware, which you did not post.
They specifically state that questions about running FreeNAS in VMs are unlikely to yield useful answers. It's a bad idea if you're not someone who knows exactly what's going on. The rule of thumb is that if you do not know how to work with VMs, you should not be virtualizing FreeNAS.

That fact that you asked a very basic question suggests you do not meet the requirements for running FreeNAS in a VM.

I urge you to read through the available documentation to determine if FreeNAS is right for you and what you need if you decide to go ahead with it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Go to the top of the page. There's a nifty link called "Forum Rules" which'll help you out with that.

mjws00

Guru
Now Now Mr. Grinch. I held off on that answer for well over 5 hrs. ;)

Mike-

Cadet
Haha, smart asses. It had a NIC, but depends the type of the adapter.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, if it has no interfaces, then by all means add one.

This answer has the virtue of being correct regardless of whether or not there's already one. :rolleyes:

gpsguy

Try the Intel e1000, do you have DHCP enabled on your network? If not, you'll have to configure the interface manually. You can do that from the server console.

Sent from my phone

Mike-

Cadet
Try the Intel e1000, do you have DHCP enabled on your network? If not, you'll have to configure the interface manually. You can do that from the server console.

Sent from my phone
Managed to solve the issue. Thank you for your answer

leenux_tux

Patron
I wasn't being "ironic" I was actually trying to guide you in the right direction.

Have you used ESXi before ? In fact, have you used any virtualization software previously ? If you don't know that you need to add a network device to your VM so that the VM can communicate over the network then you are going to have a VERY interesting time with the rest of the setup/configuration that you need to do to fully appreciate the functionality it has and what it can offer you in addition to just being a NAS device.

Mike-

Cadet
If you would have know some esxi, you would have know also that the error i had, appears even on you have a network adapter added,but depends on the type.
So stop trying to look smarter than you really are.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Odd. I've never seen the error you mention. Then again, I know jack about ESXi...

leenux_tux

Patron
well seeing as you didn't actually post the error mesage you were getting that kinda makes you a bit of a dumb @ss doesn't it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Actually he did, something about no configured interfaces.

mjws00

Guru
I was gonna walk him through compiling a Linux kernel for the drivers but he got it too quickly. Don't let these folks slow ya down Mike-.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
.... and hilarity ensues!

Status
Not open for further replies.