FreeNAS 9.10 & LACP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsylvia007

Explorer
I just upgraded to 9.10 (no issues there), but now, every 2 minutes, the log adds two of thse lines:

Once for each interface in the LACP...

"Interface stopped DISTRIBUTING, possible flapping"

Anyone else have this setup, and noticing this issue?

My switch is an older HP ProCurve.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sounds like LACP isn't working right between your NICs and your switch.

jsylvia007

Explorer
I have it working on 3 other Linux servers and prior to the update I wasn't seeing this on FreeNAS either.

J

jkh

I just upgraded to 9.10 (no issues there), but now, every 2 minutes, the log adds two of thse lines:
"Interface stopped DISTRIBUTING, possible flapping"
Can you file a ticket at bugs.freenas.org? We've had several reports of LACP interoperability problems with 9.10 but nothing like the above - those messages might be useful in trying to figure out what's changed with LAGG support in FreeBSD 10.3 vs 9.3. Thanks!

J

jkh

Also, here's a comment from https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2014-February/037757.html that might be relevant:
As a follow-up, Ben’s problem was that his switch was set for passive mode and thus not sending out heartbeats. The FreeBSD LACP driver accidentally switched its default from permissive to strict mode, and in doing so required the reception of heartbeats in order to operate. Compounding the problem was that the sysctl to change the behavior was completely untested and useless because it set the state of the ports too late in the initialization process. These problems will be addressed for the 10.1 release. However, once Ben set his switch to active LACP mode, everything worked.

jsylvia007

Explorer
Funny enough, I came across that same post, but once it started talking about patches, etc., I figured it couldn't help me. My switch is an HP ProCurve 1800-24G (J9028B) with Firmware PB.03.10, which is the latest.

I don't see an option to change the switch to active LACP mode, would adding a system tunable for net.link.lagg.lacp.default_strict_mode to 0 help the issue?

When I run the command "sysctl -a | grep -i strict", it reports back a 1, which I believe means this is enabled. In the comment above it appears that it might come too late in the init process, but it also says that the issues will be fixed in 10.1. I believe we're in 10.3, right?

Edit: Bug added - https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/14425

Edit 2: I've tried adding the above tunable in all 3 options (loader, rc, and sysctl), and rebooting after each, but the system is still showing that error message.

Last edited:

jsylvia007

Explorer
I added this tunable:

net.link.lagg.lacp.default_strict_mode and set it to zero.

J

jpaetzel

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. I've responded in the ticket with some troubleshooting to try.

jsylvia007

Explorer
I updated the bug ticket, but for quick reply here, it didn't work, I still have the log entries.

Mlovelace

Guru
The procurve should have an option under trunk configuration for static capability, it should be check boxed for active LACP status. That might help but I don't have a procurve switch to test on.

Last edited:

soulburn

Contributor
FYI I ran into this issue today, too.

FreeNAS 9.10.1 U3
Intel i350 NIC
Cisco 2960x switch configured as follows:

Code:
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree bpduguard enable