Freenas 8.3 kernel panic - kmemap too small

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparenton

Dabbler
Hi,

On a newly installed freenas 8.3 that deals with 3 disks upgraded from a previous 8.0 freenas installation, i have some kernel panic with a kmemap too small error message.

I've read that it can be solved by changing a kernel parameter option "nmbclusters=<n>", But i'm king of reluctant to recompile a kernel... so i'd like to know if you ever had such error with your freenas, and how it can be solved without recompiling everything...

Regards
Stephane

sparenton

Dabbler
Hi,

On a newly installed freenas 8.3 that deals with 3 disks upgraded from a previous 8.0 freenas installation, i have some kernel panic with a kmemap too small error message.

I've read that it can be solved by changing a kernel parameter option "nmbclusters=<n>", But i'm king of reluctant to recompile a kernel... so i'd like to know if you ever had such error with your freenas, and how it can be solved without recompiling everything...

Regards
Stephane

Ok, Well, the nas did freeze one more time this morning, and it didn't want to restart correctly. So i did update the software, and with this update, there is written in bold "warning : vm.kmem_size is too small expect unstable behaviours"... So i've just adda vm.kmem_size="512M" in my /boot/loader.conf. Hope it'll be enough...

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
nmbclusters ies totally irrelevant to that issue, besides it does not need kernel recompilation..

Are you using x86 or x64? How much RAM?

sparenton

Dabbler
nmbclusters ies totally irrelevant to that issue, besides it does not need kernel recompilation..

Are you using x86 or x64? How much RAM?

hi William,

i'm using x86 and 4Gb ram. I've seen that my vm.kmem_size was not set, and that it was advised to set it, and i've set it at "512M". so far, the nas is ok. I've said that in a second post but it's not moderated at the moment...

I didn't want to go to to x64, as i'm afraid of upgardes from 32->64 bits... (by the way, i'm not the one who set the system up... i'm just arriving and have to deal with several emergencies)

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.