Freenas 8.0.2 amd64 Active Directory option crashes domain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

smbenson

Cadet
I just installed 8.0.2 on an Asus E35m1 motherboard with ZFS 2 tb mirror and attached it to my domain using the Active Directory service. The server joined domain fine and backup mirror was accessible from workstations. When I was trying to test the email option for rsync I noticed that my exchange server was down. After three hours of investigation I finally figured out it was an Active Directory problem on my w2k8 (w2k3 mode) DC. During the DC maintenance I had powered down the freenas server. I finally got the DC back up and exchange working. I was in the middle of upgrading exchange to SP3 when I powered up the freenas server to work on more configuration and my exchange server update crashed. DC crashed not allowing any login except in safe mode. Exchange gave me the same AD errors as well. Wondering if anyone else has had problems with AD service and AD crashes.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi smbenson,

My first guess would be that you have the DC name in the "Host Name (NetBIOS-Name)" field in the Active Directory service config.

Check that and make sure it is the NetBIOS name of the FreeNAS box. If you have it set to your DC's name it will make the FreeNAS box join the domain with your DC's name.

-Will

smbenson

Cadet
You are correct. My mistake on that one, but very interesting behavior for such a small error. Thanks for the info. Not sure if there shouldn't be a small note on the gui to ensure people don't bring down their entire AD infrastructure is they just read netbios name thinking of the name server. Luckily my DC's are vms that are backed up, so I could reload them. Still a real pain.

Thanks again. Kind of gun shy to try the ad integration again.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi smbenson,

I totally agree with you, and I think the description has been re-worded since 8.0.2 was released to be clearer.

-Will

smbenson

Cadet
Thanks again for info. Everything is working now on that front. Trying to get rsync up and running. They need to add the execute now option for rsync client and add some log viewing to the gui so it's easier to check on things going on, like in 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.