FreeNAS 11.2 upgrade - can't find /boot/zfs loader (HP Microserver Gen 8)

ruasonid

Cadet
I just upgraded to 11.2 through the FreeNAS GUI/browser and receive the following message when the system message displays Attempting Boot From USB Drivekey (C:).

The system and FreeNAS was
...ptzfsboot: error 128 lba ...

Can't find /boot/zfs loader

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: NAS/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: NAS/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:

I've found several threads on similar topics but could not find a way forward for this problem.

Appreciate any suggestions how I can get FreeNAS system up and running again and access my data (The hardware includes 4x 4TB disks using ZFS with about 10TB of data).

ruasonid

Cadet
I managed to get the system back up by creating a boot USB with 11.3 and installing the new system to a Sandisk 32GB USB stick. It booted up and installed without problems. The old system (11.1) was on a Sandisk 8GB USB stick. Before installing 11.3 I connected a screen and keyboard to check why 11.2 was not booting and noticed a panic message. Decided not to spend time on this and just go to 11.3. The config (which I had not backed up) was not complex so I was able to quickly recreate accounts and set ACL's. It was easy to bring the ZFS pool back online. All data seems to be OK.

For the light use the server gets (as a file server) I guess it might be OK with the USB stick for a while (the 8GB had run for 4 years). However, I think I'd like to move the system to a SATA DOM or SSD in future. I do not plan to add more disks in future so I can lose the SATA port on the main board. Can I migrate the system (disk) image to a new storage device or do I need to backup config and reinstall FreeNAS again? Is there any particular brand of SATA DOM or SSD that you have used and would recommend?

I'll mark the problem as solved when I've fully checked over the system.

ruasonid

Cadet
This is now solved.

FYI the 8GB Sandisk USB previously used for 11.1 was a USB 3 stick. The 32GB Sandisk USB stick currently running 11.3 is USB 2.0