FreeNAS-11.0-U2 vnc keyboard issue using bhyve

Status
Not open for further replies.

B166ER

Explorer
First of all, it's great that bhyve got integrated into the new release! I like jails but FreeNAS jails are not meant to be updated/upgraded afaik, there isn't something like 'ezjail'. My current jails are so old, it poses a security risk, so i want to migrate to bhyve-vms. It is already known that something is wrong with 'libvnc' if i remember correctly. Unfortunately, it's not really possible for me at the moment to use any bhyve-vm because of keyboard layout issues. I've managed to install bunsenlabs deuterium and can work ok there because it has openbox running. But for a headless server it is impossible to do anything, copy&paste ain't working there.
Does someone have a workaround for this? Is this problem going to be fixed in the next update? When is this freenas update going to be released?

Cheers!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
isn't something like 'ezjail'.
I'm pretty sure there's literally a jail manager called ezjail.

Running VMs for stuff that could be run in jails is somewhat wasteful, but that's up to you.

As for keyboards, I believe those issues will be addressed in 11.1.

B166ER

Explorer
I'm pretty sure there's literally a jail manager called ezjail.

Not in FreeNAS, there is no ezjail here. Maybe it's possible to install it somehow, but i've read several threads on this forum and elsewhere, that the jails in FreeNAS are not meant to be updated like this. It's true that it is more wasteful but i'm ok with this, as long as i can keep things up to date. If it's true that this issue is planned for 11.1, i'll have to setup a new jail instead. Can't wait that long. :/

droeders

Contributor
I'm running bhyve VMs under FreeBSD 11.0 and have not been able to resolve some keyboard issues directly. In my case, all of the right modifier keys (i.e. right Ctrl, right Shift, etc) do not work with the VNC server that bhyve starts.

My current workaround is to start a VNC server inside the VM and connect to that instead. I have Linux VMs, and all the keys work when I connect to the VNC of the VM.

Not sure if this helps you at all, but wanted to throw it out there.

B166ER

Explorer
Thx! I will give it a try! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.