FreeBSD inside a Jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krantz

Dabbler
Hello, experts:

I need a graphical *nix OS to install my toolz and little gadgets.

I read in the forums that no matter what kind of jail template I install (ubuntu, centOS, etc) they won´t really work as expected (networking issues, cannot ping, ssh not working, etc).

Also I read that virtualization is not really good in FreeNAS.

so I wonder - can I do a fresh, full FreeBSD installation inside a FreeNAS Jail that I could operate thru remote desktop?

If so -- any guides / walkthrough to do it?

EDIT: I am not sure if I am posting a stupid question - if so, I sincerely apologize and ask in advance for your godly forgiveness

joelmusicman

Patron
FreeNAS jails typically have the full suite of FreeBSD tools available and packages can be installed with the command "pkg install." Freshports.org has a list of all the packages available. If you need to compile a port, then use portsnap to grab the ports tree.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Linux jails work as expected. They aren't 100% as the linux emulation layer isn't 100%. Many programs don't know how to handle the ZFS file system, so things are sometimes less than ideal or downright broken.

FreeBSD jails however are very solid.

D

dlavigne

Just to clarify, a non-Linux jail is a FreeBSD installation.

krantz

Dabbler
Just to clarify, a non-Linux jail is a FreeBSD installation.

Agreed, what do I have to do to access remotely via VNC that installation?

I assume installing all the ports needed (Xorg / X11 /VncServer / sshd, etc) would to the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.