Fixed UUID for bhyve VM

JCS

Cadet
Hello there! Thank you for your time, I'm running into the following problem. I've recently setup a FreeNAS device for some network shares and some simple VM's to run some basic database programs (5 clients max). This has all gone very well, props for the developers, 11.3 is very intuitive. However I've run into a problem, some software I'm using requires a registration key based on the UUID of the server it's running on. Unfortunately bhyve seems to have the tendency to change the UUID for my VM from time to time for no apparent reason and without a probable cause (I can't seem to be able to recreate it happening, and then one simple restart later all of a sudden it changes). This unfortunately means I have to re-register the product each time this happens. As you might understand I would like to avoid this if possible!

Now I've found some information about fixing the UUID in bhyve through changing the vm config files using management program like vm-bhyve. However if I understand @m0nkey_ correctly these configurations are locked away in the FreeNAS configuration file. Thus my question is, is there any way to access these configurations, or maybe something like a tunable which fixes the UUID for my VM machine.

Thanks in advance for you help! See below for my system specs and configuration:

VM OS: Windows 10 Pro
Motherboard: X9DRW-IF
CPU: Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2
Memory: 16x16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
HBA: LSI 9207-8i
Boot pool: 2x 120GB SSD
Pool 1: 2x 1TB WD HDD mirror vdev + 1 Spare (5 drives total)
Pool 2: 2x 480GB Kingston SSD mirror

rdmitry0911

Dabbler
Hello there! Thank you for your time, I'm running into the following problem. I've recently setup a FreeNAS device for some network shares and some simple VM's to run some basic database programs (5 clients max). This has all gone very well, props for the developers, 11.3 is very intuitive. However I've run into a problem, some software I'm using requires a registration key based on the UUID of the server it's running on. Unfortunately bhyve seems to have the tendency to change the UUID for my VM from time to time for no apparent reason and without a probable cause (I can't seem to be able to recreate it happening, and then one simple restart later all of a sudden it changes). This unfortunately means I have to re-register the product each time this happens. As you might understand I would like to avoid this if possible!

Now I've found some information about fixing the UUID in bhyve through changing the vm config files using management program like vm-bhyve. However if I understand @m0nkey_ correctly these configurations are locked away in the FreeNAS configuration file. Thus my question is, is there any way to access these configurations, or maybe something like a tunable which fixes the UUID for my VM machine.

Thanks in advance for you help! See below for my system specs and configuration:

VM OS: Windows 10 Pro
Motherboard: X9DRW-IF
CPU: Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2
Memory: 16x16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
HBA: LSI 9207-8i
Boot pool: 2x 120GB SSD
Pool 1: 2x 1TB WD HDD mirror vdev + 1 Spare (5 drives total)
Pool 2: 2x 480GB Kingston SSD mirror
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution?

JCS

Cadet
Luckily the system has been pretty stable on my side for the past couple of months, so I haven't had any issues with it. But inherently the problem still exists.

I'm not aware of any changes in the newer releases.