First time user, Budget Build. Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantonic

Cadet
Hi,
I've never built or owned a NAS before.
I've read some of the help stickies about hardware. (hope I didn't miss any crucial information) I'm looking for advice on these or better parts I should consider.

Use case:
I'm looking to increase my storage capacity which is currently maxed out at 1 whole TB (backed up to cloud and another 1TB external.)
For now this NAS will mostly be used for storing photos as well as 4k video (home videos) as well as my edited videos etc. I would like to be able to share these over my networked devices, and I understand FreeNas should let me do just that. I would also like to automatically sync to Amazon cloud drive, but from what I've read it sounds like this feature is not yet available on FreeNAS.
The main reason I am going with FreeNAS instead of a similarly priced synology or drobo or such is because the main feature I am interested in is data integrity, and avoiding bitrot. I think this is probably overkill, but the project has piqued my interest.

Build:
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 DDR3 1600
$144.99

SeaSonic S12II 430B 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$59.99
Intel Pentium G3460 Haswell Dual-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 53W BX80646G3460 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
$69.99
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B
$89.99
APC BE650G1 Back-UPS 650VA 8-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

$68.31
Note1: I have plenty of cases and fans that I'm planning to use from my previous builds over the years, looks are not important.
Note2: I'm hoping the dual 1 gigabit LANs on this mobo will suffice unless you think I should buy a separate card.
Subtotal: $433.27

Plus 6 Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 HUA723020ALA641 2TB 64MB cache Internal Hard Drive (just bought them today dirt cheap $30 each)
Figure I could start out with these and maybe upgrade later. The plan is to use Raid Z2.

I originally had very minimal budget, but it's evolved into this, I'd like to keep it around this price range(or less of course,) but I'm happy to make changes based on your expert feedback.

Thanks in advance!

-David

Last edited:

nojohnny101

Wizard
those drives are 7200RPM which means they will use more power and will generate more heat while note really giving you any speed benefits from the additional rotational speed but hey, you got them for cheap!

raidz2 x 6 drives is a good start. good balance of redundancy and speed. remember, redundancy is not a substitute for a proper backup. if you plan on storing data on your freenas box that you don't want to lose, keep another copy of it somewhere else.

i can't comment on the supermicro board as i'm not very familiar with it. others can chime in for compatibility with that.

as far as your PSU goes, it seems on the low side to me. have you read through the PSU sizing guide here?
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/proper-power-supply-sizing-guidance.38811/

good luck!

EDIT: the stock LANs that the board comes with will suffice for your use case.

CraigD

Patron
Last edited:

dantonic

Cadet
Thanks for your replies so far!

I did look at the PSU guide, the calculation comes out close to 430.

Ram is on the list.

I did think about the split 12v rail being an issue, but I figure I can balance it. I might keep searching for a better psu. I really prefer seasonic over corsair.

You say 7200rpm drives may not be nas suitable as they'll heat up. Should be ok for now, but will they be an issue if and when I start mixing in different drives of perhaps different rpm?

Also I do plan to backup to another external hard drive, and the cloud.

Thank you

Last edited:

CraigD

Patron
If I could get good 2TB drives for that price I sure I could make 20-22 of them work for me

They maybe hotter and use more power but I'm sure even with the extra cooling and power costs it is a great per TB price (If they pass burn in)

Have Fun

Linkman

Patron
I have two of those very same drives from that very same seller, haven't done a bad blocks test on them yet, but they passed a SMART short test with flying colors. One had 2 years of power on hours, but only ~40 power cycles, and a comparable low load cycle count; the other had 3 years of power on hours, ~200 power cycles, and similarly low load cycle count. Neither had any remapped or reallocated blocks.

I have ordered three more (for 4x2TB plus a spare, they're not for my FreeNAS box though).

Stux

MVP
I sound like a broken record, but do checkout the skylake/x11 motherboards, as an alternative to haswell/x10.

You get more Sata ports, more total ram (64gb capability vs 32gb), better power efficiency, and a more recent platform. Which means a potentially longer useful service life.

For negligible price difference.

dantonic

Cadet
I sound like a broken record, but do checkout the skylake/x11 motherboards, as an alternative to haswell/x10.

You get more Sata ports, more total ram (64gb capability vs 32gb), better power efficiency, and a more recent platform. Which means a potentially longer useful service life.

For negligible price difference.

Thank you. Which do you recommend?

Stux

MVP

dantonic

Cadet
All,

Just wanted to say thank you for your suggestions. I went ahead with my list of parts and have assembled the NAS. I am messing around trying to learn the system but I've gotten as far as creating a working data set that is shared across the network for backup.

Everything seems to be working fine! much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.