BUILD First Time Adventures in FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Everyone that is important will read it.. no need for a new thread.

a 650w should be fine. I have 24 WD Greens and it peaks at about 400w when powering on.

That CPU is massive overkill unless you plan to service a business(or 3). I run an E3-1230v2 here and i can't imagine a situation where I'd need more processing power than I already have.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I agree with cyberjock. I have the 760AX with basically the same loadout as you intend to run. I have found the 760 to be a bit of overkill. Even when I toss in another 6 drives. Having said that, I am really pleased with the 760 AX.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Wow. Please don't go guessing startup power requirements for drives. Epic fail. Those numbers are provided by manufacturers, and a safe way to estimate them is listed in my build/burnin sticky.

ran

Dabbler
Everyone that is important will read it.. no need for a new thread.

a 650w should be fine. I have 24 WD Greens and it peaks at about 400w when powering on.

That CPU is massive overkill unless you plan to service a business(or 3). I run an E3-1230v2 here and i can't imagine a situation where I'd need more processing power than I already have.

Plans are to use it for video transcoding of 1080p+ videos. All drives will be using zfs encryption and some drives will be using compression along with encryption (if needed). There will also be a jail or two running a VM or two (not concurrently, and not all the time, just randomly... for work). And, maybe some cracking as well. I believe the CPU is overkill for a simple file server. I'm hoping that the CPU is efficient enough to not suck up too much energy when it's, essentially, idling. I don't want to turn around and have to buy a faster proc in 3 years. My old server is long in the tooth, but really works fine for non-1080p transcoding and everything else.

ran

Dabbler
Wow. Please don't go guessing startup power requirements for drives. Epic fail. Those numbers are provided by manufacturers, and a safe way to estimate them is listed in my build/burnin sticky.

The drive startups weren't guesses. I was quoting someone who had posted details about booting. The most power hungry drive tested was the Hitachi which peaked a bit over 15watts during startup. The WD reds were lower. So I was overestimating with 15watts per drive.

The problem is I'm not sure, aside from testing from the wall, how much power the CPU + mobo + 32GB memory will consume on boot up. It's hard to do that without purchasing the components, and if you get an under-powered PSU there's the whole process of return which I'm trying to avoid.

I read your two threads on the Build/Burn-in and the Hardware one (many thanks again for good information!). Neither detail how one would go about pre-determining how to figure out power consumption for the above components. But maybe I'm being thick and I missed it, this happens often now.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The drive startups weren't guesses. I was quoting someone who had posted details about booting. The most power hungry drive tested was the Hitachi which peaked a bit over 15watts during startup. The WD reds were lower. So I was overestimating with 15watts per drive.

I don't typically base product engineering on what some moron at some random web site measured a device taking with a testing rig that might have been no more than a Kill-a-Watt on the entire unit. Quite frankly, the numbers reported there actually look very much like that is actually what was done, if the unit was doing staggered spinup.

Here's what I *can* tell you.

The drive manufacturer specs the WD30EFRX at 1.73 amps spin current, +/- 10%. That means a possible 1.91 amps. Now the way watts works is you take volts times amps equals watts. 12 volts times 1.91 amps is 22.92 watts.

But now here's the thing. If WD is right and you're wrong, you will be stressing your undersized power supply when it spins the drive, causing the 12 volt rail to sag, and voltage sags during this very important phase can KILL A DRIVE. That peak inrush at 1.91 amps might only be for a fraction of a second, so are you actually sure you want to trust some random web site's measure of the power?

The problem is I'm not sure, aside from testing from the wall, how much power the CPU + mobo + 32GB memory will consume on boot up. It's hard to do that without purchasing the components, and if you get an under-powered PSU there's the whole process of return which I'm trying to avoid.

I read your two threads on the Build/Burn-in and the Hardware one (many thanks again for good information!). Neither detail how one would go about pre-determining how to figure out power consumption for the above components. But maybe I'm being thick and I missed it, this happens often now.

Please refer to the section on power supplies in this sticky.

You can estimate power consumption for most components by using safe values. The TDP for a CPU gives you an approximate cap for watts burned there. For an E3 board, 20 watts, For a stick of RAM, 5 watts. For an HBA, 15 watts. For a NIC, 5 watts per port. For a fan, look up the manufacturer's specs. Honestly this isn't hard at all. You can get actual watt burn values for specific components (motherboards are a bit of an exception to that) if it actually matters.

So remember that you're looking to run a power supply at maybe 30-40% of its rated design watts, as long as everything else (like spinup current) fits in that envelope comfortably.

The math works out pretty simply. Given a 15 drive chassis, you really need 30 amps at 12v just to spin 15 drives. The base system (the X10 previously quoted, CPU, memory, etc) isn't likely to take more than maybe 150 watts unless you have insane fans or something, plus another 150 watts for 15 drives. So you have a 300 watt base requirement, but your supply also needs to consider that it probably need to be able to provide 40 amps at 12v for the overall system to ensure sufficient power to spin drives, spin fans, AND power the motherboard/CPU.

That usually ends up comfortably fitting into a 650-900 watt supply.

ran

Dabbler
Ok, got it. Thanks again. More reading needed. Right now I can account for 366 watts of needed power for startup for fans, drives, CPU. But I need to research more into the board itself and the memory modules. Then I'll have a much more accurate number. I may need to look at the different components on the board to get a more accurate number because I can't find any kind of details at SuperMicro about the boards power consumption. Which, I guess, stands to reason since the various components will only require power if used (such as SAS or the NICs or the SATA controllers, etc., etc.).

The way I've done it before has always been to guess. I've guessed lucky for several years. But that's no indication I'll guess lucky this year. :) My gut tells me I can get the SeaSonic X650. But I'll do more searching around before I execute on that.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Guessing sucks if it ruins a thousand dollars of hard drives.

ran

Dabbler
Indeed, just hasn't hit me yet. ;) But yeah, doing more research so I don't lose any drives. I'm less concerned with the drive as the data upon it. But I still want to correctly size it and learn the bits I'm missing. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.