BUILD First proper server build - a modular approach vs. AIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscam

Cadet
Hi!

Half a year ago I recycled my 2005 gaming pc to be a home server. Starting off with Microsoft Server 2012r2, I fell in love with virtualization. As soon as I started to be concerned with storage solutions, though, it became clear that the only awesome and worriless solution is a bare-metal freenas deployment.

After one month of tinkering, though, this damn machine started to randomly freeze, starting at POST.
Mainboard MSI K9A2 Platinum
CPU AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition
CPU-Fan Scythe Ninja (no fan)
GPU Sparkle GeForce 9600GT passive
RAM 2x Mushkin 4 GB -- 1x 4 GB random leftover
PSU Corsair CS450M
HDD WD Red 3TB -- Samsung Spinpoint 750 GB & 640 GB -- WD MyBook 3 TB (USB 3.0)
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite with Aerocool DS fans: Front (2x120mm), Back (1x120mm), Bottom (1x120mm), Top (2x140mm)
Boot Kingston Data Traveler USB2.0 16 GB

Went for passive cooling. It's loud as hell and the CPU regularly had 100°C panic shutdowns under load

My definite requirements for the new system are:
  • Fulfills freeNAS/NFS standard for data security
    • ECC RAM
    • Preferrably a tested Supermicro board
    • Possibly gimmicks like a built-in UPS (or redundant PSU)
  • Can manage ~3 TB worth of data, starting with a WD RED 3 TB mirror
    • This is only going to be synced and remote accessed, should be an IO of about 1 GB per day
  • Can run a Ubuntu/XAMPP VM for single user access
  • Power efficient to a certain extent
Luxury that I'd really like:
  • Plex (only me, in the worst case a maximum of two simultaneous streams)
  • Torrent/VPN - which means that I'm gonna need to expand storage sooner or later
  • A silent system that I can sleep right next to
Things that might or might not become necessary to me:
  • Growing storage
  • A production web-server to cover the gap of a project until we can afford outsourcing
  • Gadgets like mailserver, irc bouncer, cloud-sync for my android phone - basically every google service one might use

Now, my conclusion was to get this build:

Mainboard Supermicro X10SL7-F
CPU Intel Pentium G3220 - to be xeon'd by demand
CPU-Fan (boxed)
RAM Samsung 8 GB ECC UDIMM - to be expanded by demand
PSU Corsair CS450M
HDD 2x WD Red 3TB (mirror) -- Samsung Spinpoint 750 GB & 640 GB (mirror, just for fun) -- WD MyBook 3 TB (USB 3.0) (backup, until I have the money for additional Reds)
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite with Aerocool DS fans: Front (2x120mm), Back (1x120mm), Bottom (1x120mm), Top (2x140mm)
Boot Kingston Data Traveler USB2.0 16 GB

But right after I ordered mainboard, CPU and RAM, worries befell me.
Even if it's all on a to-be-expanded basis and should still suffice, wouldn't it be a much more viable option to not buy a can-become-megatron machine and instead settle with one that fits my urgend needs, holding 3 TBs of data on a mirror, maybe becoming up to 12 in a RAID-Z2 with the regular 6 drives any board can manage, and running an Ubuntu VM with XMPP?
The latter usage would not need a powerful machine at all. And if any other demands arise, I would rather get a second box, than tinker on with my one-and-only.

What do you think?
Heck, I even thought of something like this:
L.png

The freeNAS's boxes only purpose being NFS there.

I'm totally overwhelmed by possibilities and eventualities. Please help me find reasons to eliminate the approaches that are not viable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.