First NAS Build - Revisited

chuck32

Guru
Intel X520-DA2 for 30€ and you are good
including transceivers that'd be a steal ;) I paid 50 Eur and that was pretty cheap imo.

For a switch I was thinking something like the mikrotik crs305-1g-4s+in.

if I manage to actually find it on a low price, in my country there are shops that sell it for 300€ haha).
I'm not 100 % certain but there aren't customs for importing from within the EU so you could look up a shop that has reasonable shipping costs to greece and go from there.

Stux

MVP
Your motherboard supports PCIe Gen 4, you want to make sure your get the Hyper card for Gen 4.

6 sata slots. and room for 6 (or 7 drives).

Perhaps save the extra ports for another few drives. Will be good for replacing failed too.

Seems a good idea to use x1 nvme slot for boot, but use something larger than 32Gb I think. ar 64GB (iirc) TNS switches to using the boot for swap. Which is a good thing.

Make sure you can bifurcate the hyper card to 4x 4x 4x 4x with your combination of hardware.

Stux

MVP
Ie mirrors means you can add 2 more drives later or replace just two for more space.

It’s faster and more flexible. But not as resilient as 4way raidz2

stavroswtf

Dabbler
I'm not 100 % certain but there aren't customs for importing from within the EU so you could look up a shop that has reasonable shipping costs to greece and go from there.
You are right, no customs. Just need to find a store that ships here. Other option is ebay, where I have found many of those NICs

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
I live in Portugal and prices for electronics is high - most of the time, I order from Germany, as it’s still cheaper with shipping costs.

I paid 20€ for a used X520-DA2 from eBay and I bought some cheap DAC (SFP+ to SFP+) cables for 12€ - no transceiver needed then. The Mellanox can be found cheap too.

PCIe 4.0 and 4x4x4x4 bifurcation on B550 is only supported with Ryzen CPUs like 5600

APUs: Pro Versions, like 4650G required for ECC, only PCIe 3.0 and max 8x4x4 bifurcation.
Hyper M.2 card with 4650G on B550 will allow 3x additional NVME PCIe 3.0 drives

nabsltd

Contributor
including transceivers that'd be a steal ;) I paid 50 Eur and that was pretty cheap imo.
HP 560SFP+ are X520-DA2 clones, and can be easily found for less than US$15, although I'm not sure what prices in the EU would be like.

Unlike the Intel branded cards, they do not restrict the transceiver brand. I use generic DACs with these cards.

stavroswtf

Dabbler
Just a heads up, if anybody can chime in. I contacted AMD about the 5600 + Gigabyte MC12 LE0 compatibility and ECC Support and they sent me the QVL Support List sheet which states that 5600 is not a supported CPU at all.
Is there a similar CPU with x4x4x4x4 bifurcation that's more powerful than the 3600?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
"Run successfully" is rather vague in this context (well, actually in most, but that is a different story).

While I do not know how it is in this particular case, please be aware that there is a difference between the board generally working vs. the full ECC protection being operational. In other words: It may be possible to have ECC RAM in a system without getting any additional protection from it.

Etorix

Wizard
Oh so we have people that have tested this, thanks for the heads up. I will stick with it then :)
You can follow this thread at STH:

As far as ECC goes, with the proper BIOS setting MemTest86 Pro can pass while injecting ECC errors but I haven't found ECC logging.