First FreeNAS build as Plex Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cv15xbmc

Cadet
Hi,

I am new to server builds but am obsessed with proper organisation of my media and viewing it through something like Plex or Kodi. I am hopefully going to switch to plex.

I was going to consider a hi end NAS with plex apps for ease of use, but then stumbled into unRAID but it seems the general consensus is that FreeNAS seems the best reliable server and also for Plex.

Where do I begin with a build?

I am mainly an Apple user but will use Plex through PS4/fire tv/apple tv. I can't see myself doing more than 2 streams at once that is 1080p with the possibility of 4K in the way future, but unlikely.

Thanks for all the help

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You should decide on what capabilities you might want in a NAS above just storing the media and running PLEX.
Do you know how much storage you will need? How quickly is that amount increasing?
You should look into the documentation and determine what features you will need. That's what will let you develop a hardware list.
Also, do you want to buy new or consider used equipment?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

cv15xbmc

Cadet
Appreciate all the replies! One quick thing. I got a single drive WD my cloud 8TB. I’m pretty sure those things are the 8tb WD reds. Could I just rip that drive out and use it? (I know I would have to reformat it)

Inxsible

Guru
You could. You'd lose the warranty on it, that's all.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
One of the strengths of FreeNAS is the ability to protect your data. It can't do that with just one drive. It would be better for you to wait until you can afford at least two drives.
The warranty (based on posts from others) still works on the bare drive.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Super hard to find anything online in Australia that's reasonably priced.
There have been a couple people in Australia that posted about buying their hardware in the US and paying to have it shipped to Australia because it they were able to get the hardware they needed that way where they just couldn't find what they wanted in Australia.
Here is a link to one: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/lets-talk-rackmount.58012/#post-410666
You might try asking him for his experiences. If you do decide to go the route he did, there are a lot of bargains to be had from eBay where some company is selling off gear that is still plenty new and powerful enough to be used for several more years to do the things we usually do with FreeNAS.
I can point you at some if you are interested.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.