First build: Hardware feedback requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free@last

Cadet
Of course I started buying gear before I read enough of the forums, but here is what I have or is on the way:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM+-F-O
I3-4170 Gen4 processor
Crucial ECC 16GB CT2KIT102472BD160B
Corsair Carbide series spec2 case (generic mid tower)
<Replaced >Thermaltake TR2 600W
SeaSonic 650-Watt
Drives TBD -- Planned 4-6 4TB drives

Toshiba 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm, 128MB Cache 3.5-Inch
WD Red 4TB
WD Green 4TB

Still questions on drives

Expected use is a reliable store to keep all my Plex media, photographs from years of DSLs, archival of some project data as well as an instance for TimeMachine to attach to. Plex pool seldom has two concurrent users, so very light activity expected on the box.

I currently have a number of different drives to play with including a pair of 4TB WD green drives. I haven't ordered anything for the NAS but I think 4TB is the likely size. I plan on having 4-6 drives in the box but haven't read enough to be sure what I am doing for pools yet, etc. so some change with knowledge is almost inevitable.

The MB has 6 SATA connectors and I have 6 SATA off the power supply, so I think I am ok there.

Any thoughts you have, even if it is to tell me to replace the case/PS.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Cases are a pretty subjective decision. Just make sure whatever you get has sufficient airflow to provide proper cooling of the hard drives. The hard drives lifespan depends on proper cooling.

I'd go with a different power supply but that's just my opinion.

Everything else looks good for your intended use scenario.

Free@last

Cadet
I had looked at this after reading quite a few posts, it seems to do the trick,
SeaSonic 650-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply SSR-650RM
and amazon says they can get it to me before I receive the board. Is it worth the $80 or are there other recommendations?

I actually expected more pushback on the case, though it did look like it had ok fans for a starting place on a cheap case. I will probably replace the fans with better than stock as soon as I figure out what will work best. More digging in the posts.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I had looked at this after reading quite a few posts, it seems to do the trick,
SeaSonic 650-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply SSR-650RM
and amazon says they can get it to me before I receive the board. Is it worth the $80 or are there other recommendations?

I actually expected more pushback on the case, though it did look like it had ok fans for a starting place on a cheap case. I will probably replace the fans with better than stock as soon as I figure out what will work best. More digging in the posts.
4-6 drives should be fine in that case. Just keep air flowing and keep an eye on temps (which is general advice everyone gets). The conversation would be different if you were trying to cram 12 drives in there. ;)

Free@last

Cadet
I think I am sold on the Seasonic 550W 80 Gold, there is enough money going into this build another $20 isn't going to kill me :) Or can someone give me a good reason I should buy the Seasonic 360W 80PLUS instead? It looks like the 550 also ships with the desired 4 + 2 SATA instead of 4 on the 360?

DearestDreamer

Dabbler
Did you check the Supermicro motherboard page and go through the memory compatibility list? Just make sure you're using parts they tested and that work with your CPU. Other than that it looks good.

Free@last

Cadet
Did you check the Supermicro motherboard page and go through the memory compatibility list? Just make sure you're using parts they tested and that work with your CPU. Other than that it looks good.
Everything I could find says that is the correct ram for the board, Crucial/Supermicro seem to agree as does a post that referenced Cyberjock's data that looked good and influenced my choice. You scared me, wondered if I had screwed up. I think I am good at this point.

DearestDreamer

Dabbler
I'm sorry for the scare, I just wanted to make sure you've checked the compatibility list, since it's easy to miss :)

Status
Not open for further replies.