first build 350 euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

schpongo

So im looking to build my first diy NAS.
After some data loss in my household i dicided i need a NAS to prevent that from happening in the future.
I want the ppl on my network to make back ups to the NAS using Time Machine. Later i want to add functions like a raid setup, an itunes server and a ftp server ... etc.
I want to spend about 350 euros. The price should include a 3 Tb HDD. Now i want to build the NAS in a micro ATX form factor. Are there any motherboards which work great with FreeNAS and which Cpu do i chose. Do i go intel or AMD.

mooneyes

Dabbler
Hi, this is my first post in the forum.

I've got a cheap config like you demand but the final cost depends of you box. I prefer Intel configuration only because I know it better than AMD, and I think that with a Pentium G630 (or similar) and an AsRock H77 Pro4 its too enough.

cbraafhart

Dabbler
I've just created my first nas build.
and my system is very old. +- 2006

I have a Pegatron motherboard i swiped away from my aunt.( The motherboard looks grand spanking new)
It has a sempron 2300 CPU in it, 3 GB's of RAM
The only thing i have new in it are the hard drives 2x2TB 7.2K RPM's Sata III, the system case and I swapped the on board Ethernet card for a dedicated gigabit one.

I'm currently running all my network on a 100MBps gateway. With my current setup I'm reaching max(transferring speed) to the NAS. about 9.5 - 11Mbps. End of the month i'm going to upgrade to a gigabit switch. Hope this increases my through-output.

Status
Not open for further replies.