Finally A Decent FreeNAS Build

pschatz100

Guru
The 7350K is actually cheaper than the 7320. As for transcoding on plex, my current setup (which is an i3 laptop) handles my needs perfectly fine so I see no need to go for a xeon at this point although I have considered it and I was tempted but if all my needs are handled perfectly fine by a laptop CPU then a desktop i3 which is 3 generations newer should be more than enough. Apart from this, I would be the only person streaming from plex
Then the 7350K is the way to go. You can always update the CPU if you find that your needs have changed. You have a lot of good options with that motherboard.

The i3-8100 is more affordable again, more powerful - enough for one CPU-only transcode of a 4k stream, is my guess - and fits into an X11SCH-F, which is the crux: Those aren't available everywhere yet. However, they are available near you, so more power to you! https://www.servershop-bayern.de/de/supermicro-x11sch-f-max-128gb-m-2-2x1gbe-8xsata

Thanks for your research although I'm not in germany. The only reason that I'm ordering from Amazon DE is because Amazon UK won't ship the Mobo and some other components to Malta

Then the 7350K is the way to go. You can always update the CPU if you find that your needs have changed. You have a lot of good options with that motherboard.

Thanks for the confirmation. I won't be overclocking this but it's cheaper and ever so slightly faster than the 7320 so why not

Last thing I need help with is the HBA which if I'm going to run 8 HDDs then I'm preferably going to need 2 more ports for the SSDs as the boot drives. I mentioned an HBA in my first post although I don't know how compatible that is with 11.2. Also, this is gonna be a bit of a stupid question but, the 8 bays all should be connected to the HBA right? So everything is on the same controller?

Any ideas?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Last thing I need help with is the HBA which if I'm going to run 8 HDDs then I'm preferably going to need 2 more ports for the SSDs as the boot drives.
You can use the system board SATA ports for boot drives and put all the data drives on a SAS HBA like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-H220-6G...9205-8i-P20-IT-Mode-From-US-Ship/192639052923
I bought one of these and was happy with it.
the 8 bays all should be connected to the HBA right? So everything is on the same controller?
Yes

pro lamer

Guru
If it has -F version (IPMI) I'd consider the -F version even if you don't need it now (you may find headless access convenient in future)

Edit: I've just read the detailed Amazon description and found the linked item is the -F version anyway :)

Sent from my phone

Last edited:
I completely forgot to answer this thread. Sorry

Parts received and all is good. Drives are currently running 4 passes of badblocks. Did ram testing and cpu testing. Till now all lights are green

Thanks for everyone's help in this. I'm hoping to interact more on this forum