Files vanishing over VPN

Agent1

Dabbler
When users change or create new files, other users cannot see them in other physical locations over the VPN.
We are using ipsec tunnels between 3 locations and some mobile ipsec users. Can anyone explain to me why this behavior is occurring? (2 years ago We upgraded our freenas server and it has been happening ever since.) We never had this happen on the old freenas box.
Thanks for your help.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
No offence meant. But do you really expect any reasonable response with that amount of information?

indy

Patron
Sounds like an interesting problem but the lack of information actually made me chuckle at little bit.

Agent1

Dabbler
None taken. I was hoping this problem was common enough that someone would know exactly what I am asking.
How about I try to include more information about our setup and if I'm missing something you tell me what to include and I'll do it?
We have users in 3 physical locations. FreeNas11 file server in location #1. When a user creates a folder in a directory, users in location #2 and #3 open the directory the folder is not visible (sometimes and sometimes it is). (I'm almost certain that it is a permissions issue.) All users are using windows 10 pro. All three locations are using their own active directory domain on Server 2012. The Freenas setup it as basic as I could make it and i tried to mimic the previous NAS (freenas8). We are using AD on the Freenas 11 build but it seems to have issues from time to time. (Not re-connecting after server reboots). What information am i missing?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I would approach this by limiting factors. E.g. you currently have the VPN and the AD in the equation. Removing either of them might help to narrow down the search.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This could be a VPN MSS issue. What are your tunnel MTUs?

indy

Patron
There are no issues as long as clients and server are within the same broadcast domain?
Are all endpoints fully routable over the VPN?

Do the file system changes show for the clients at any point (maybe after rebooting)?

Agent1

Dabbler
There are no issues as long as clients and server are within the same broadcast domain?
Are all endpoints fully routable over the VPN?

Do the file system changes show for the clients at any point (maybe after rebooting)?
Correct!
Yes!
Yes sometimes they show up.
On freenas 8 there was no issues like this. Only when I built the 11 box. I thought i did a good job of duplicating the configuration.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Correct!
Yes!
Yes sometimes they show up.
On freenas 8 there was no issues like this. Only when I built the 11 box. I thought i did a good job of duplicating the configuration.
Hmm. Just FYI, FreeNAS 11 is end of life and there are some quite bad vulnerabilities in winbindd in it. It really should not be used in production environments at this point.