Failover, Clustering, Load Balancing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
We all know this question has been asked in the past and there are no facilities in FreeNAS for what I want but are there any commercial solutions, possibly front-ends available? Yes, I've searched the forums and read the documentation and yes I know these features are not in FreeNAS directly at this time.

I want to build 3 new servers based on a 2U SuperMicro SFF chassis with 24 slots and populate it with Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD's. Fine, it's commodity hardware that we all know, I don't want a vendor specific lock-in.

There are a few direct vendor options from HP, Dell and a couple of new guys that make claims of failolver redundancy, scaling, etc., etc. But those are specific vendors and I don't want to go there. But, at the end of the day, I need to build a system that is fault tolerant for uptime and FreeNAS is my preference.

Are there _any options out there, even if it involved 3rd party software or extra configurations? Also, will there be any future plans to incorporate such redundancy into FreeNAS.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
We all know this question has been asked in the past and there are no facilities in FreeNAS for what I want but are there any commercial solutions, possibly front-ends available? Yes, I've searched the forums and read the documentation and yes I know these features are not in FreeNAS directly at this time.

I want to build 3 new servers based on a 2U SuperMicro SFF chassis with 24 slots and populate it with Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD's. Fine, it's commodity hardware that we all know, I don't want a vendor specific lock-in.

There are a few direct vendor options from HP, Dell and a couple of new guys that make claims of failolver redundancy, scaling, etc., etc. But those are specific vendors and I don't want to go there. But, at the end of the day, I need to build a system that is fault tolerant for uptime and FreeNAS is my preference.

Are there _any options out there, even if it involved 3rd party software or extra configurations? Also, will there be any future plans to incorporate such redundancy into FreeNAS.
You're looking for stuff that is / will be baked into FreeNAS 10. https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/whats-new-in-10.38928/

Mlovelace

Guru
You can do HA and clustering with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It's not free of course but you aren't vendor locked on hardware either. ZFS on Linux has repos for RHEL so you can have all the zfs goodness too. Or wait till freeNAS 10 is released and stable.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Look into Atlantis Computing. It's a storage virtualization layer (virtual appliance) that abstracts the underlying data (both local and SAN) and provides a clustered capability (in addition to others. It's pretty cool stuff.

MtK

Patron
How about 'ceph'?

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
Thanks for the great ideas and sorry for the delay in responding. I'm looking at Atlantis Computing as a viable solution but for now, my boxes will remain stand-alone for budgetary reasons. TrueNAS is _exactly what I want - right after I win the Powerball!

Status
Not open for further replies.