SOLVED Failed to send email - Size error???

Status
Not open for further replies.

siconic

Explorer
Hey guys,

FreeNAS is ALMOST back to perfect again. I can be a bit OCD, and I hate seeing ANY errors. I see 3 notable things in the log, but really the only error I am getting anymore since switching out a bad disk, is a mail send error in the Picture below:

upload_2017-10-10_7-30-19.png

This error happens every night around 1:30 am. This is, as far as I can tell, a relatively new error. What is FreeNAS trying to send that exceeds Googles message sending limit of 25 MB????

I am wondering about the kernel: arp: moved epair message, not a biggie, but I see that about 4 or 5 times a day.

I also see utils_v1_lookup error, but I read they are fixing that in 11.1, so I wait patiently for that, lol.

Thanks again everyone!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Either an absurdly long log or maybe a config backup, if you configured that. Realistically, it's likely to be something you setup.

siconic

Explorer
Either an absurdly long log or maybe a config backup, if you configured that. Realistically, it's likely to be something you setup.

I have a cron to send it to my backup disk, and that disk is replicated offsite. So I don't THINK its that?

Is there any way of seeing what FreeNAS is trying to email? Could it have had an absurdly long log, failed, and then it just compounded? In other words, because it failed once, now it has a backlog of logs to send?

EDIT: I looked at my maillog file, and it looks like the offending email has the Subject Cron. is it trying to send all the files that I actually compressed and sent to the disk??? The cronlog itself is only 262 lines, and less than 100k...

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
it looks like the offending email has the Subject Cron. is it trying to send all the files that I actually compressed and sent to the disk???
Can't really tell--what do you have running at about 1:30 AM via cron?

siconic

Explorer
Can't really tell--what do you have running at about 1:30 AM via cron?

Nothing at 1:30AM, I think that's just when the email send either fails, or runs. But these are my cron jobs, and I don't have any of them set to email. They just backup to my "backups" dataset, and then that is uploaded offsite.

upload_2017-10-10_10-36-55.png

siconic

Explorer
upload_2017-10-10_10-44-7.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Looks like you have a huge security run email it's trying to send. I would try to disable email settings and reconfigure them.

Do you get lots of messages in your messages log?

Or maybe the error from Google is misleading?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Looks like you have a huge security run email it's trying to send.
No, the security run email is going at 3:01. It's the cron email at 1:28 that's resulting in the error.

@siconic, what's the output of crontab -l when logged in as root?

siconic

Explorer
Looks like you have a huge security run email it's trying to send. I would try to disable email settings and reconfigure them.

Do you get lots of messages in your messages log?

Or maybe the error from Google is misleading?

So, I just went into the emails I got this morning, and here is the output:

Daily Security Run Output:
Code:
freenas.home changes in mounted filesystems:
69a70
> linprocfs			 /mnt/MainArray/jail/mineos_1/
usr/compat/linux/proc linprocfs	rw			  0 0

freenas.home kernel log messages:
> arp: 192.168.30.2 moved from 02:ff:20:00:0d:0a to 00:24:e8:69:26:74 on epair7b

-- End of security output --

Daily Run Output:
Code:
Local system status:
3:01AM  up 1 day, 12:29, 0 users, load averages: 2.63, 1.81, 1.58

-- End of daily output --

Those are the only two emails I received. Are there supposed to be more? I feel like I had more emails then that at one point.

Last edited:

siconic

Explorer
No, the security run email is going at 3:01. It's the cron email at 1:28 that's resulting in the error.

Let me check real quick...

siconic

Explorer

Thats weird....

upload_2017-10-10_11-0-1.png

Would it make a difference if I SSH in?

rs225

Guru
Your plex tar backup might be creating a large number of file lines. (I don't use it, so I don't know) Maybe add the quiet flag to that one?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your plex tar backup might be creating a large number of file lines.
Very good catch; ls -R | wc -l in that directory for me results in 973k lines. That certainly could explain a large email size.

siconic

Explorer
Very good catch; ls -R | wc -l in that directory for me results in 973k lines. That certainly could explain a large email size.

OMG, I got 1,486,973 lines!

Your plex tar backup might be creating a large number of file lines. (I don't use it, so I don't know) Maybe add the quiet flag to that one?

You certainly know your stuff, that is probably the culprit then. Just droping the v should silence it, correct? So, tar -cfz instead of tar -cvfz?

As soon as Cron runs tonight, and I get an email, error or no error, I will post the results in the morning!

Thanks guys!

siconic

Explorer

Cron log emailed, no error after removing verbose logging! That did it! Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.