Export RAID 10 (LSI 9280) as a single disk via iSCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thug

Cadet
Good day.
I need to make a dumb thing: just iSCSI export of a RAID10. The hardware will be something like Intel 2U R2312GL4GS, LSI 9280-16i and 12 2Tb disks. By controller we build a RAID10, then just pass it by iSCSI to a cluster of nodes. Will this work? Our current controller (older LSI), neverthless of a RAID built, passes single drives, so we want to be sure before we buy a controller.
Or it will be faster and easier to setup a Linux/FreeBSD and make there an iSCSI target by CLI and hands?
Thanks and best regards.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Why would you create the RAID on the controller? That defeats the benefits of FreeNAS. If you want to use the RAID controller for this purpose, then you probably dont need FreeNAS, as any OS will do at that point for configuring iSCSI

Thug

Cadet
That's why I'm asking. Then, you think, we don't need FreeNAS... Thanks.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I would utilize ZFS with the disks, but for iscsi only you might see a huge performance issue on that large of a volume.

My next choice in NAS would be OpenMediaVault, and might be just what you need to keep it simple with the ability to easily manage from a webGUI

Thug

Cadet
I would utilize ZFS with the disks, but for iscsi only you might see a huge performance issue on that large of a volume.

My next choice in NAS would be OpenMediaVault, and might be just what you need to keep it simple with the ability to easily manage from a webGUI

Thanks, will have a look. Another question is: if we will make online expansion of RAID - is it possible to tell a system without reboot of a new size of disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.