ESXi - FreeNAS - plugin does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikst

Cadet
Hello,

I have installed FreeNAS 11-U2 on ESXi 6.0.0 HPE.
FreeNAS works and I can connect to the web and install the plugins.

The problem is that I cannot access the plugins via the web or via the left menu. I have followed some threads and checked that they are running etc.
I think I have missed something in the ESXi network setup.

Could someone who use ESXi share the switch and network setup for the ESXi, please?
I have two NICs connected to the VM switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zredwire

Explorer
What plugins are you trying to set up? Also tell us about your network setup (both physical - outside ESXI and Virtual - Inside ESXI). Screen shots would be even better. Everyone has a different environment. For instance I have 5 Virtual Switches and 10 Port Groups. My settings would not help you at all. So its best to tell us more about your environment and setup so we can help you troubleshoot.

mikst

Cadet
I guessed there were a universal ESXi switch setup to make FN working with plugin/jail. Below is a short description of the current setup.

The network is a small home network with an Asus Router and one desktop switch which the server is plugged in to. The router runs the DHCP server and the switch is a dumb switch.

ESXi is running on a HPE with a HPE PCI card with 4 NIC's.
ESXi is 6.0.0 for this server. FN is 11.1-U2.
I try to set up Plex media server as the first plugin.

Two NIC's on the card are pass through but not in use and two connected to the VM there FN is installed.
The NIC on the MB is for the management.
ESXi 1.jpg

The vswitch in wmswitch is configured as below.
vswitch.jpg

and vm switch as
vmswitch.jpg

FN is configured as below.
FN Network Sum.jpg

FN Global.jpg

Jail setup.
FN Interface.jpg

FN Jail.jpg

I have tried with full DHCP first with the same result.
SMB etc from FN works as it should.
I have also tried pfSense as VM on the host and that worked so I think I do something wrong with the config for FN.

I am very grateful for all the help I can get to get this up an running.

RegularJoe

Patron
is your management network on the same L2 subnet as your VM on a different vswitch? Your FreeNAS VM can be on the same vswitch as your management. On your vswich with two NIC's are you using "route based on originating virtual port id"? Can you ping 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.3 from 192.168.1.20? can you ping 8.8.8.8 from all machines?

If you can check for updates your FreeNAS guest is working right via DNS and routes. Does that work?

sretalla