SOLVED Errors during disk burnin

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sorry for it taking so long to get back to you, been busy around here with fixing the daughters car (replaced the front brakes, the calipers, rotors, and pads) in the cold weather, been at the hospital all last week too, and I need to do some more work on the daughters car possibly today in the 25F cold (I may blow it off until it is warmer), no fun.

If all the hard drives passed and the only issue appears to be the PERC card, if you need a SATA card to add additional drives then I'd grab a different card, not a Dell Perc. You can see quite a few cards that are recommended through these forums. My personal preference works fine but not everyone would want to use it due to personal preferences, see my signature for the add-on card I am using. When it comes to this type of add-on card, I cannot give a guarantee that it would remain compatible over the lifespan of your FreeNAS system due to the changing operating system specs. I chose my add-on card based on the specs for FreeBSD 10 and I also know it's still compatible with FreeBSD 11. I suspect it will remain compatible with FreeBSD 12 as well but I don't know that. My card is not firmware upgradable which could become a liability someday but to be honest with you, I'm fine with buying new hardware when it becomes required. So read the forums on recommended hardware and I'd just stay away from the PERC cards since you are having a bad experience with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

dak180

Patron
Since my last update all of the HDs have passed a full burnin test, without errors, connected directly to the motherboard. I also returned the Dell H310 I had and got another one (from a different vendor); this H310 has had no issues, all HDs just completed another full set of burnin tests connected to the card with no issues. From this I conclude that I just happened to get a bad card; if that is the only thing that goes wrong in this build's early life I think I will chalk it up as a success. ☺

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you were able to rectify this problem. I hope the PERC card gives you no further grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.