JD53

Dabbler
CPU: i7-3770
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) non ECC
Primary Drive: Kingston 240GB SSD
3x8TB HGST SATA Drives (RAIDz1 pool)
10/100 Ethernet
320W PSU

Noob here. I built a NAS using an HP 8300 tower and installed TrueNAS Core 13. I got it up and running, created a zpool using the 3, 8TB drives and have SAMBA connected to my Windows laptop. I created a shared folder (named media) to put my movies and then tried to install PLEX. It wouldn't install giving me the following errror.

Error: HTTPConnectionPool(host='download.freebsd.org', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /ftp/releases/amd64 (Caused by NewConnectionError('< urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x8239147f0 >: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 8] Name does not resolve'))

I then tried to create a jail for plex but got the same error.

I've tried to research this problem but can't find anything. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Check your networking. Failure to resolve usually means:
  • Missing or incorrect default gateway in TrueNAS config
  • Incorrect subnet mask in TrueNAS config
  • Missing or incorrect DNS servers in TrueNAS config

JD53

Dabbler
would you know the shell cli commands to get the ip config info? I did set the nameservers in the Network-Global Config tab. I set nameserver1 to my gateway, nameserver2 to cloudflair (1.1.1.1) and nameserver3 to google (8.8.8.8)

I just tried to ping www.yahoo.com and can't. Can you give a some step by step help? Tnanks

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
would you know the shell cli commands to get the ip config info? I did set the nameservers in the Network-Global Config tab. I set nameserver1 to my gateway, nameserver2 to cloudflair (1.1.1.1) and nameserver3 to google (8.8.8.8)

I just tried to ping www.yahoo.com and can't. Can you give a some step by step help? Tnanks
Have you looked at the Network Interfaces Screen, expanding it as necessary?

Please post a screenshot of it.

Samuel Tai

What's the output of midclt call network.general.summary | jq? From your description, you're probably missing a default gateway, or typo'ed it in some way.

JD53

Dabbler
here's the output of midclt call network.general.summary | jq
truenas01.jpg

JD53

Dabbler

Samuel Tai

As I suspected, you don't have any default gateway set up. The network summary output confirms it. You set it in the Network->Global Configuration screen where you set up the DNS servers.
1680964147281.png

JD53

Dabbler
I was rereading the TrueNAS manual. It says I need to set a static ipv4 address to reach external sites. What do you think?

Samuel Tai

I was rereading the TrueNAS manual. It says I need to set a static ipv4 address to reach external sites. What do you think?
A static address is useless without a corresponding default gateway. This is basic TCP/IP networking.

JD53

Dabbler
Which is why I'm a noob. I've worked with windows for years but no little about linux or networks. I like playing around with linux but not very knowledgeable. It's working. I was able to install plex. Thanks for your help.