Error: ICRC, ABRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Smith

Patron
When a drive throws an "Error: ICRC, ABRT" error, what has been everybody's experience with it, bad drive, or bad controller, something else?

Or is this error too general to tell anything by its own?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Robert Smith

Patron
I will post whatever I could find about this error. The full description is as follows.

Interface CRC error during Ultra DMA transfer - often either a bad cable or power problem, though possibly an incorrect Ultra DMA mode setting by the driver. Command aborted - either command not supported, unable to complete, or interface CRC (with ICRC).

Sounds to me, like this is exactly the type of error that would increment the, “199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count” SMART counter. However this would be triggered by communication between the computer and the drive, rather than a self-test.

If you get this error all the time, then diagnostic is easy, move the drive to a known-good port, or a known good computer, with a known good cable, and test again to determine if the cause is the bad drive, the bad port, or the bad cable.

If you get this error once in a long while; then I am not sure. There are people who say that occasional ATA errors are nothing to worry about. But I am not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.