Error/Crash: "freenas kernel: ahcich4: Error while READ LOG EXT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

globus999

Contributor
Hi,
Been using FN8B4 x64 for a couple of months now with no mayor issues. A few days ago I started backing-up all its contents through CIFS by pulling files from a backup server. This is, I was doing *READ ONLY* operations. Suddenly, CIFS died, looked at the log and found:

Sep 6 09:31:42 freenas kernel: ahcich5: Error while READ LOG EXT
Sep 6 09:31:43 freenas kernel: ahcich4: Error while READ LOG EXT
Sep 6 09:31:44 freenas kernel: ahcich5: Error while READ LOG EXT
Sep 6 09:31:46 freenas kernel: ahcich4: Error while READ LOG EXT
Sep 6 09:31:47 freenas ntpd[1516]: time reset +0.309347 s
Sep 6 09:31:50 freenas kernel: ahcich5: Error while READ LOG EXT
Sep 6 09:32:23 freenas kernel: ahcich4: AHCI reset: device not ready after 31000ms (tfd = 000000ff)

As far as I understand, this error means that there is some problem with the SATA controller. However, this is a brand new system top to bottom. Things I tried:

1 - Disable AHCI from BIOS and revert to IDE. No effects (other series of errors).
2 - Reboot a couple of times (it won't let me access the web interface or another TTY so I need to do a hard reboot .... not too happy about this...:( )

The situation is getting progressively worst.

The fist time this happened I was able to access a shared folder through CIFS, when I noticed that an automated scrub was in effect and then it crashed as indicated above. While was doing this, ZPOOL indicated both pools were ONLINE.

The second time this happened I tried to stop the scrub but it just hanged. At least I was able to access another TTY and shutdown from there.

The third time this happened, no TTY, no Web GUI.

This sucks!!!

Any ideas?

Durkatlon

Patron
Don't have any solutions for your particular problem, but I can confirm that there are problems with FreeNAS8 and certain SATA Controllers. The fact that the system is new does not matter in that case.
The problematic controller had 3 modes (IDE, RAID, AHCI) and while the error messages change depending on the mode, the time-out issues remain nonetheless.

I had to switch out motherboards to make the problem go away.

globus999

Contributor
Don't have any solutions for your particular problem, but I can confirm that there are problems with FreeNAS8 and certain SATA Controllers. The fact that the system is new does not matter in that case.
The problematic controller had 3 modes (IDE, RAID, AHCI) and while the error messages change depending on the mode, the time-out issues remain nonetheless.

I had to switch out motherboards to make the problem go away.

Tx! my Mobo does exactly that. It has 3 modes.
Funny thing is that after 6 or 7 hard reboots and one kernel panic, now it's not giving me *any* errors whatsoever.
Man, can't wait to bail out from FN8. Asap FN7 catches up, I am outahere! :mad:

Durkatlon

Patron
Well it's interesting because I have in fact 2 systems on the same problematic motherboards running FreeNAS 7 (0.7.2) without any problems. These systems each have 1.7TB in use out of 2.7TB usable space (one is a backup of the other) and both have been up and running for well over a year.

It seems FreeNAS 8 somehow does not like SATA controllers that offer RAID functions. It is known that ZFS does not play well with these controllers I guess, but I'm using ZFS on the FreeNAS 7 systems as well. It has me puzzled, but my "solution" is to get a new motherboard for the machine that is having issues.

What motherboard are you running and what is the SATA controller part on that board? Also, what are you waiting for in FreeNAS 7 to "catch up"? I was under the impression that FN7 is no longer actively enhanced with new features. It seems functionality-wise that FN8 is the one doing the catch-up right now! That suits me fine by the way, because I use my NAS for one purpose only and that's storage :D.

globus999

Contributor
What motherboard are you running and what is the SATA controller part on that board? Also, what are you waiting for in FreeNAS 7 to "catch up"? I was under the impression that FN7 is no longer actively enhanced with new features. It seems functionality-wise that FN8 is the one doing the catch-up right now! That suits me fine by the way, because I use my NAS for one purpose only and that's storage :D.

FN7 uses ZFS v13
FN8 uses ZFS v15
ZFS cannot be downgraded... bummer!

Re: Mobo: Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
Specs: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3420#sp
SATA Controller: South Bridge AMD SB850

Me too. I am just using FN8 for storage... what a joke!
Anyhoo, I just found out that right now, although the sata controller seems to be running just fine, the Web GUI is shot. Nice piece of code.... not! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.