BUILD Enterprise build - ESXi

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowprofile

Cadet
Hi

I know there are a lot of these build suggestions out there, but i couldn't find any proper setup for my purpose.

I will make it short :)

I need to build this storage server but it will be used in enterprise environment, so keep in mind that every part should be "enterprise" and not some "desktop" hardware.

2u rack box will be best with space for something like 7 disks.

I prefer Supermicro for mainboard and intel E3 or E5 for cpu. Disk should be 4tb each with some SSD for cache. Hardware should be "latest" on market.

This server will be used in ESXi environment for approx 100 VMs. So a lot of I/O...

I hope you will help me making this build :)
Budget: $2000-$3000

Thanks a lot :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. you're going to get zero responses with that post.

You want a build, you provide your parts list and we'll tell you what recommendations to make that might make or break your current design.

KMR

Contributor
Also, good luck getting what you want on that budget.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Also, good luck getting what you want on that budget.

Good point.. 100VMs.. for $15k.. maybe.. maybe if they aren't high I/O VMs LOL

I'm thinking i'll delete this thread if he doesn't respond within 24 hours.

gpsguy

Or potentially way more than your budget if you need a tier 1 array of fast storage using MLC SSD's.

Sent from my phone

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What he needs to do first is to get some quotes from some SAN companies. That'll fix the budget issue.

Basically for heavy VM use look to mirrored disk (NOT RAIDZ), lots of memory (64-256GB), some L2ARC (~~4x RAM), and something for SLOG ZIL.

I happen to like the X9DR7-TF+ board because it contains both dual 10GbE ports and an LSI2208; add the BBU and for about $900 you can wind up with a board that has about $1500-$2000 worth of separate parts - and no slots used.

You can add 64GB RAM to that for around $500. A decent 2U 12 drive chassis for about $800. An E5-2637v2 for about $900. That brings you to about $3000 without adding any actual storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.