Enabling powerd causes problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssvt

Cadet
Hello,

I upgraded from 9.2.9 yesterday to 9.3 (actually did a clean install as the upgrade just wouldn't work for me. Ever since I've noticed a peculiar issue.

I've got two ZFS volumes - each consisting of two mirrored 1T identical drives. Never seen a problem with them in the past year.

Since I've moved to 9.3 if I enable powerd after a short time the console starts throwing errors about ADA1 being offline and that it had unrecoverable sector errors.

Nothing shows in smart or elsewhere. If I disable powerd and reboot, there error is gone and I have the usual console menu. Both volumes show Healthy in the volume manager. Also, if I reinstall using 9.2.9 this does not happen.

Any suggestions on how to proceed as I'm not sure there really is a disk problem? Thanks!

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, post the SMART output for your disks. As a rule I don't recommend powerd (especially on AMD hardware) because it can cause problems that weren't problems. The gains are also minor, often less than 3 watts difference, if any.

ssvt

Cadet
Well shoot. The error is back. But that's good as it tells me the drive is going and not some weird Freenas thing. I don't understand why an unrecoverable error would come and go but it's time to replace the drive and restore from backup. Thanks for responding (and thanks for your Guide - very helpful). I'll avoid powerd in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.