Email when RAID array degrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancsrick

Dabbler
Had my first automated email today, thanks.

There is a LOT of information int here that I don't care about though, any way to trim it down?

All I want is the 4 line group that tells me the ZFS pool status, nothing else.

Dusan

Guru
There is a LOT of information int here that I don't care about though, any way to trim it down?
You can change what is reported by editing /etc/periodic.conf
Also look at /etc/defaults/periodic.conf to see what is enabled by default (/etc/periodic.conf has higher priority and will override the defaults).
However, changes to /etc do not survive reboot. If you want to make the change permanent do the editing here: /conf/base/etc/periodic.conf

Lancsrick

Dabbler
You guys have been brilliant, thanks so much. I'll edit that tonight (will do the conf to make it permanent).

Lancsrick

Dabbler
Oh, and I presume I can edit the file by making the CONF folder a CIFS share, editing remotely, and removing the share? Or must it be done locally so I can mount the drive as -uw and return to -ur?

Dusan

Guru
You need to remount R/W, do the change and mount R/O again. Use mount -o noatime -uw to prevent unnecessary writes. You can do it remotely via the GUI shell or via SSH.

Lancsrick

Dabbler
Final related question on this - I've customised the periodic.conf thanks to the excellent instructions in here, and set up a filter on my email so as long as it says "all pools are healthy" it goes to my Bin folder immediately. On the daily security email, what will the email say if there is ever an issue? Ideally I'd like to automatically Bin that one too unless it flags something up, but the default content is blank for each status title since there are no issues.

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's too hard to call. There's several things to look for. You shouldn't have more users with ID = 0 than what you've created(shouldn't be more than root normally). But there's other things, and the exact phrasing will depend on many things.

Dusan

Guru
What I would give for a crash course in git stuff... Being that I have roughly 24 hours a day of complete boredom it would be awesome if I could actually merge stuff back into FreeNAS. I tried to figure it out myself, but after about 10 hours I'm left with a cubic butt-ton of questions, acronyms I'm not familiar with, and not much understanding.
PM me if you have questions. Also, I could walk you through the process if you have have a concrete change in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.