Email alert for boot drive degraded - WebUI & CLI shows no issues

freenas-supero

Contributor
Hello,

I changed some power modules on my Freenas server and once starting up the system, I got an email alert saying:

The boot volume state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.

However, the WebUI is notshowing any issues under System > Boot > Status. It is showing both drives as "ONLINE". The light icon also is green.

I confirmed this via CLI:
Code:
root@freenas:~ # zpool status freenas-boot
  pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:01:11 with 0 errors on Sat May  8 18:31:07 2021
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0
      mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
        da9p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
        da8p2   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

This server is running FreeNAS-11.1-U7.

The boot drives are both Kingston 16GB USB drives.

What's going on?

diedrichg

Wizard
A few months ago I had an issue where my system was underpowered and it caused drives to go into degraded states. Make sure you have enough power for your system and make sure that the power supply is working properly and the cables are good.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

freenas-supero

Contributor
@diedrichg : This supermicro chassis uses redundant 800W power modules. The server draws, in average, 200W.

This is also the 1st time I see this kind of glitch in many many years using freenas.

@Jailer : Agree USB sticks are garbage, but usually when one fails, the alerts remains on and I can see it degraded in the WebUI (it happened only once about 4 years ago, and replaced both drives)... Can I consider this to be only a glitch or is there anything serious with the drives?