Easy sharing setup, home directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAStard

Dabbler
Hello,

I am a newbie when it comes to both FreeNAS and ZFS. During the last few weeks I read hundreds of threads and thousands of individual posts. I've also looked at a large number of third-party pages with information that is frequently out of date or incomplete. I believe that I could have saved a lot of time had there been a User Guide reflective of the snippet of info I will post below.

Obviously, there are a many sharper knives in the drawer (community) compared to me; and that may include those few members with the highest post counts who successfully shutdown an otherwise potentially productive thread with a specious or otherwise vacuous reply within the first hour of the original post. Those good people should show more restraint and not do that. :)

Aside from the rock star personalities, one issue I see in the FreeNAS community is the notion of what is a Reference document compared to a User Guide document. There was a period in modern computer history when documentation existed in two general formats: a Reference and a User Guide. Today, with the exception of examples such as man pages, which is reference material, a lot of documentation is a combination of the two styles, unfortunately.

One clear indicator that the document you may be reading is a reference document is when it is organized according to features. The TOC reveals this. The FreeNAS doc at doc.freenas.org is reference material and apparently, based on the content of this help forum, not an effective User Guide. The experts point to this document as everything you would ever need to know to accomplish your FreeNAS goals. That doc did not work for me as a User Guide as much as it helped me as Product Reference.

After literally giving up on the aforementioned FreeNAS Reference, I just decided to try some stuff. 30 minutes later I have a solution that seems ok. I am sharing what I did because I want to know, sooner than later, if it has some inherent flaws or problems with use cases other than mine. I do not have time to perform all the tests necessary to give me (and you) total confidence. But this seems to work for me, so far.

In addition to datasets such as /Media or /Archive that we often want, I wanted one dataset (or share) that was like a home directory that I could use as either a remote working directory, or an archive of my home directory that I could update with rsync, or simply copy files to it, directly.
  1. Create a Unix dataset for Home under your pool. (/mnt/pool/Home)
  2. For each User, create a Windows dataset under Home. (/mnt/pool/Home/username)
  3. Via the Add User GUI, create a User for each user with default settings and browse to set Home Directory to dataset created in step 2.
  4. Change permissions on newly created dataset such that Owner (user) and Owner (group) are set to the username you created on FreeNAS server in step 3.
  5. Create Windows Share named Home for the dataset created in step 1. Make sure to check the checkbox "Use as home share".
  6. Enjoy your share from Apple OS X and Windows, both.

Does this work for other FreeNAS users, in some situations?
I will modify the above instructions based on inadvertent omission, lack of clarity, and/or forum feedback.

*** Please spare this thread from the editorial sniping from a handful of forum members. All I ask is, "Be nice."

Cheers!
:D

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you wish for this thread to "be nice", then maybe you shouldn't take jabs at the people in the forums that are willing to help? Subtly calling them out or saying snarky things about them is not really going to help your case.

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread really is though. I read the title and thought it was an attempt to create a guide on setting up shares for your network, but I open it up to see a big rant about what documentation is and then a quick blurb about how to create some home directories and users....

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If you wish for this thread to "be nice", then maybe you shouldn't take jabs at the people in the forums that are willing to help? Subtly calling them out or saying snarky things about them is not really going to help your case.

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread really is though. I read the title and thought it was an attempt to create a guide on setting up shares for your network, but I open it up to see a big rant about what documentation is and then a quick blurb about how to create some home directories and users....
I prefer to take a Unix philosophy on forum posts and have them perform one task well.

Personally I find samba's 'homes' share to be inferior to just creating subdirectories in shares with proper permissions, and modifying user profiles / mapped drives accordingly. The samba project's home shares are like a combined beer dispenser and bagpipes. Kinda neat but not terribly useful in production.

NAStard

Dabbler
Personally I find samba's 'homes' share to be inferior to just creating subdirectories in shares with proper permissions, and modifying user profiles / mapped drives accordingly. The samba project's home shares are like a combined beer dispenser and bagpipes. Kinda neat but not terribly useful in production.

Thank you for your comment. I've used the [home] config with samba smb.conf directly in Linux administration, but by no stretch of the imagination am I an expert or even proficient in knowing all the ramifications.

Is it possible to cite an example of how "samba's homes share" is not so useful and may not deliver or meet the expectations of the SysAdmin or Users in a production environment?

@Anyone: What could be a downside of my specific config? Where will it fail to meet some particular expectation?

Many thanks!

NAStard

Dabbler
and then a quick blurb about how to create some home directories and users.
Hi Pirateghost,

If you have time to try-out this config, then please share your impressions... good or bad.

Thx.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hi Pirateghost,

If you have time to try-out this config, then please share your impressions... good or bad.

Thx.
What config?

I know how to create users, shares, and home directories.

I'm not really sure what you are attempting to accomplish here.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm not sure of the purpose of this rant/post. I have a question about this configuration though. Why use an individual dataset for every user? Most of the time datasets are used for different content types, different snapshot schedules, permission types or compression levels. Since all data is home directory data and all being shared via smb I think just having a homes dataset and folders inside that would be better.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm not sure of the purpose of this rant/post. I have a question about this configuration though. Why use an individual dataset for every user? Most of the time datasets are used for different content types, different snapshot schedules, permission types or compression levels. Since all data is home directory data and all being shared via smb I think just having a homes dataset and folders inside that would be better.
different users may have different quotas and snapshot schedules. datasets for individual users is actually preferred in my opinion.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
different users may have different quotas and snapshot schedules. datasets for individual users is actually preferred in my opinion.
Ahhh yes that is a good point.

NAStard

Dabbler
Thanks loads for your relevant question.
I have a question about this configuration though. Why use an individual dataset for every user?
Yes, I saw in another thread, this administrator dude (jkh) had articulated some points about it in the Best practice for datasets thread. I got the idea it was an ok thing to do, there.

I have few users, so could create each dataset manually.
I suppose, for a lot of users, this could be automated from the FreeNAS shell.

Cheers!

Last edited:

gpsguy

jkh (administrator dude) is the CTO of iXsystems. iXsystems is the company developing the FreeNAS software and TrueNAS line of products.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I advocate one dataset per user as well. At the very least, it provides a logical segmentation.

A dataset "Users" with subdatasets for each user is what I do.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I advocate one dataset per user as well. At the very least, it provides a logical segmentation.

A dataset "Users" with subdatasets for each user is what I do.
Dues anyone know if this works with 1k users/datasets? I think datasets are unlimited and free to have, right? The freenas GUI might have problems though.

Status
Not open for further replies.