Easy pool replacement question - can I pull the old drives without "Export/Disconnect" ?

Teeps

Dabbler
Hello, I have a disk with SMART errors and needed to increase the pool space anyways, so I have decided to replace all 6 drives and re-create the pool with ZFS encryption, setting aside the old GELI-encrypted drives while I restore my data from my other NAS.

In case of some terrible emergency during the data restoration process, I want to be able to bring the GELI pool back online.

Can I just shut down Truenas and pull out the GELI drives or do I need to disconnect/export the pool first?

I assume I need to disconnect first. On that assumption, my plan is:

1. Disconnect the pool, leaving all options unchecked
    1663242781050.png

2. Shutdown NAS
  3. Swap all GELI drives for new drives
  4. Create new pool
  5. Migrate all my data to new pool

I'm nervous to do the disconnect pool step because perhaps Truenas 13.0-U1.1 isn't so great at re-importing the GELI pool, so I wanted to double check that it's necessary or if Truenas can just complain that all discs are missing while I build the new pool without serious consequences.

Thanks so much

Davvo

MVP
You can offline the drives, disconnect them and connect the new ones, then create a new pool whithout touching the old one.
If you need to access the old pool, you just need to offline the new drives and connect the old ones.
When you have the peace of mind to delete the old one, simply do so.

This is my understanding, however I have no experience with GELI.
As a side note, 13.0-U2 is now the latest release.

Teeps

Dabbler
You can offline the drives, disconnect them and connect the new ones, then create a new pool whithout touching the old one.
If you need to access the old pool, you just need to offline the new drives and connect the old ones.
When you have the peace of mind to delete the old one, simply do so.

This is my understanding, however I have no experience with GELI.
As a side note, 13.0-U2 is now the latest release.

Thanks for your message. I understand this should work well if I offline a single disk in my 6-disk array, but you are saying I can offline all 6 disks, turn off the machine, turn it back on, online all 6 disks, and the pool will be just as I left it? As long as the data is where I left it, it won't need to resilver or otherwise break the pool?

According to the docs, ZFS wouldn't let me offline more than 2 disks in my raidz2 array.

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
Thanks for your message. I understand this should work well if I offline a single disk in my 6-disk array, but you are saying I can offline all 6 disks, turn off the machine, turn it back on, online all 6 disks, and the pool will be just as I left it? As long as the data is where I left it, it won't need to resilver or otherwise break the pool?

According to the docs, ZFS wouldn't let me offline more than 2 disks in my raidz2 array.
I honestly don't know, exporting the pool should be the right choice. I have not done something like this, and my limited knowledge is purely based on random readings in the forum and a swallow understanding of TrueNas.
You should wait for a more competent opinions on the issue.