E3C236D2I and I2C, or wrangling the rack

Wisdom

Explorer
I think I'm making some dumb mistakes here, and would love a little oversight. I pick up an SC-846, moved my FreeNAS build over (take a gander), and am trying to tame the fan wall. Ideally, I'd slave the fans to the drive temps, but if nothing else, I would like them to be variable. As it stands, they're pinned at 100%, all the time, and that's not great to sit next to.

At the recommendation of the kind folks at /r/servethehome, I was encouraged to pick up an i2c cable. It goes from the backplane up front to the same port on my motherboard - my razor sharp PC building instincts told me that since they're the same shape, they should play nice together, right?

I can't see anything new getting passed through. Nothing in via IPMI in the web browser, still nothing via ipmitools, or freeipmi - I even got that last one up and running in a jail, just to return could not find inband device.

I've run across some reports that folks can get access chassis data on similar boards, but that's with unraid. My bigger problem is that, besides using IPMI for convienent monitoring, I'm not familiar with it as a tool. So, what's my next step?