Dynamic DNS settings for no-ip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
A HA!

You know, I SUSPECTED this was a god damn problem, which is why I changed it in my servers to this. This looks like a bug. I'll file a ticket later, sir, with the devs.

icanhazip.com is a guy that just runs a simple script that returns the IP address you're calling from. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. It's for *precisely* this purpose. There was a default one in FreeNAS, but apparently, it doesn't work. hence, the nature of the ticket I'll file.

leave it the way it is. And proceed. icanhazip.com is fine to use there, and now you're online for the time being.

Glad I could help.

manualmedia

Dabbler
A HA!

You know, I SUSPECTED this was a god damn problem, which is why I changed it in my servers to this. This looks like a bug. I'll file a ticket later, sir, with the devs.

icanhazip.com is a guy that just runs a simple script that returns the IP address you're calling from. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. It's for *precisely* this purpose. There was a default one in FreeNAS, but apparently, it doesn't work. hence, the nature of the ticket I'll file.

leave it the way it is. And proceed. icanhazip.com is fine to use there, and now you're online for the time being.

Glad I could help.
You're my hero, man. I'd buy you a beer if I could. Thank you so much! Have a happy new year, sir!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You're my hero, man. I'd buy you a beer if I could. Thank you so much! Have a happy new year, sir!
I've been hitting on the FreeNAS weird problems like a boss for about 2-3 weeks. I think maybe I turned a corner of zen understanding.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

manualmedia

Dabbler
Thank you again DrKK!

I'm not sure that this is actually updating my hosts on the no-ip end. This is all so alien to me!

I changed the update interval to 30 seconds, just to see if it was updating. Then, I went into my no-ip account and manually changed the host to an off ip address. On waiting, the host isn't actually getting updated to the right IP. So, I may have a bit more research to do.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Thank you again DrKK!

I'm not sure that this is actually updating my hosts on the no-ip end. This is all so alien to me!

I changed the update interval to 30 seconds, just to see if it was updating. Then, I went into my no-ip account and manually changed the host to an off ip address. On waiting, the host isn't actually getting updated to the right IP. So, I may have a bit more research to do.
Well we have evidence that the Dynamic DNS (which, by the way, it one of the most unloved/ignored features in FreeNAS) has a few rough patches in it, so anything you find out can be submitted as a bug or whatever.

Also, if you REALLY want to check it, set the "force update" setting to 60 seconds. BUT TURN IT OFF AFTER A COUPLE MINUTES because they will be get pissed and block your IP. inadyn doesn't really do anything if your IP hasn't changed locally, so what you have may be normal. But the FORCE UPDATE overrides that behavior, and updates it anyway.

manualmedia

Dabbler
Well we have evidence that the Dynamic DNS (which, by the way, it one of the most unloved/ignored features in FreeNAS) has a few rough patches in it, so anything you find out can be submitted as a bug or whatever.

Also, if you REALLY want to check it, set the "force update" setting to 60 seconds. BUT TURN IT OFF AFTER A COUPLE MINUTES because they will be get pissed and block your IP. inadyn doesn't really do anything if your IP hasn't changed locally, so what you have may be normal. But the FORCE UPDATE overrides that behavior, and updates it anyway.
Ah, okay.

Do you know if this can update multiple hosts? The tooltip under domain names says to seperate by commas, which I've done like so: host1.no-ip.org,host2.no-ip.org,host3.no-ip.org -- is this how they intended the syntax to be? If I add spaces to separate the entries, it all goes to heck.

EDIT: Okay, cool. I added a forced update and it did update the first host in the series, but nothing after.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Ah, okay.

Do you know if this can update multiple hosts? The tooltip under domain names says to seperate by commas, which I've done like so: host1.no-ip.org,host2.no-ip.org,host3.no-ip.org -- is this how they intended the syntax to be? If I add spaces to separate the entries, it all goes to heck.
This is all good information, sir. Collect it all, and we'll submit it to one of my favorite devs (Suraj), who happens to be a champion of "All Features That Are Unloved", like this one.

JJT211

Patron
I too was having this same problem no-ip.com. Ill give this a shot when I get home later

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

JJT211

Patron
I havent had the opportunity quite yet, but will def report back when I do!

Gonzalo

Patron
Bug submitted for multiple hosts not receiving updates: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/7356

Let me know if I should change anything / add any details.

Thanks again for your help DrKK!
I found a workaround to fix the issue with multiple hosts. Through Web GUI, set one host in "Domain name" and add the others in "Auxiliary Parameters" in the following way: --alias <host address 1> --alias <host address 2> and so on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.