Dynamic DNS issue with freedns.afraid.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctphillips

Dabbler
Hello...

I thought this might be helpful to other users of FreeNAS 8.0.4 64 bit. I kept receiving the error "invalid update URL" when trying to activate the Dynamic DNS service with my FreeDNS account. The solution was to tweak the "Domain name" field. It should be formatted as follows:

yourdomain.example.com,yourprivatekey

That's the domain you chose on freedns.afraid.org COMMA your private key.

Your "private key" can be retrieved at http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/ -- you then need to copy the "Direct URL" link and select everything to the right of the question mark.

rxrotorboy

Cadet
Awesome, thanks for this! I spent an hour going through tcpdumps to work out what was expected / should be sent - I think you saved me a few more hours :smile:

ctphillips

Dabbler
Glad I could be of help to someone. After some difficulty in getting my FreeNAS server to boot reliably (it was my DVD drive) it's been running for a few months and working brilliantly. I couldn't be happier with it.

Awesome, thanks for this! I spent an hour going through tcpdumps to work out what was expected / should be sent - I think you saved me a few more hours :smile:

boostman

Cadet
I know this is old but wanted to say that adding the private key fixed my DYNDNS error messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.