Drive died, not in disk list .. how do I replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke7237

Cadet
Pair of seagate 1G drives as mirrored, Freenas 9.1.1 .. one of the drives failed hard, I tried just sticking in another drive and it showed up in the pool as disabled. I probably screwed up by wiping the new disk and adding it to the pool as stripe. Anyway to recover?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You're saying:

You had a drive fail in a two-drive mirrored pool. You added a new drive to the system, then striped in the new drive as a second vdev into the pool, instead of going through the "replace" procedure.

Is that right?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
How about you post the output of "zpool status" and "zpool import" in CODE blocks or pastebin?

zeke7237

Cadet
I attempted to do the replace, but there didn't seem to be a way to do so .. the bad drive was not being detected by the OS at all, hence didn't appear in the gui for me to click replace ..

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status                                                                                                   
  pool: mainpool                                                                                                                 
state: DEGRADED                                                                                                                 
status: One or more devices could not be opened.  Sufficient replicas exist for                                                 
        the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.                                                                   
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.                                                           
  see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q                                                                                       
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 1h17m with 0 errors on Sun Jan 19 01:17:14 2014                                                     
config:                                                                                                                         

NAME                                          STATE    READ WRITE CKSUM                                                 
        mainpool                                      DEGRADED    0    0    0                                                 
          mirror-0                                    DEGRADED    0    0    0                                                 
            ada0                                      ONLINE      0    0    0                                                 
            64180023929310082                        UNAVAIL      0    0    0  was /dev/ada1                                 
          gptid/f14b5fae-91ce-11e3-a256-00270e0d5df2  ONLINE      0    0    0                                                 

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                     
[root@freenas ~]# zpool import                                                                                                   
[root@freenas ~]#                                                                                                               

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, you have 2 vdevs. One is a mirrored vdev, the other is a single disk.

You've made some serious mistakes.

First, you need to backup your data, pronto.

Now, here's the 2 mistakes I see.

1. You didn't create the pool from the GUI. If you are like most people you did it from the CLI and you shouldn't have.
2. Instead of replacing a failed disk you added the disk as its own vdev.

For #1, the only fix is to replace disks and hope you have enough space(statistically you might not have enough space unless you disable swap.. which isn't recommended but you have no choice)
For #2, the fix is to either destroy the pool or add another disk to the single-disk vdev thereby making it a mirror. (You will have to do this from the CLI because the GUI doesn't support this). You cannot remove a disk once its been added as a vdev.

Good luck!

Edit: If, at any point, your single disk vdev fails, you will lose the pool. This is why its imperative for you to make a backup.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I concur with Cyberjock, and diagnose it the same way.

You shoudl backup this data immediately, somehow, then blow away this pool and start over, copying the files back. *IF* you have an extra hard drive around to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.