Dragonfish RC1 arriving this week with Easter Egg

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
We wanted to let you all know that after a successful Dragonfish BETA with almost 2,000 users, the RC1 version is on track for delivery this coming week.

The BETA was good quality as evidenced by the Tom Lawrences review. A big thanks to everyone who tried it out and reported any issues. We found a couple of hundred fixes and improvements through this process.

The RC1 provides an Easter Egg... an old friend that was previously removed due to FreeBSD incompatibilities. It will be in the nightlies before the RC1.

Kudos to anyone that finds it, tests it, and can provide a great-looking screenshot prior to the RC1 release.

Volts

Patron
Oooh, that's going to make a lot of people very happy. People love their pretty pictures.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Not ready to jump to Dragonfish just yet because I depend on TrueCharts support but I browsed the commit history and I think I know what the easter egg might be. Puzzled by the claimed "FreeBSD incompatibilities" because we run that same product on our "proServer" infrastructure.

Curiously enough I am always willing to try early CORE beta or rc releases even in production, because I know FreeBSD and jails inside and out but for the few apps I run on SCALE I am 100% depending on the containers "just working".

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Not to hate on the guy, but that video was basically worthless. He showed how to make an SMB share then started to talk about rolling back to 23.10.2. Weird.

I reckon the rollback process is hugely valuable for trying out new software. Do I want to try a new racing car without seatbelts??

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Still looking for photos of the Easter Egg.