DR Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all my fun using the CLI to do replication when I moved data from one server to another, I now use the GUI exclusively. Create a periodic snapshot that recursively includes all the datasets of interest. Then follow the docs to use the "Semi-Automatic" setup to replicate the data to your other machine. Once all the replication has completed, you can disable the replication task by unchecking the "Enabled" box in the Replication Task.

Derek Humes

Dabbler
This is what I had in mind for an offsite backup, but leaving replication checked so that daily my snapshots will get sent offsite. I just didn't know that the deletion of stale snapshots could backfire in a way like this during a disaster recovery scenario - although admittedly I don't know for certain that is what caused my failure.

I too am completely baffled as to what happened. But, like you mentioned, this is why it is important to test the backup recovery.

Having more than one backup is also a very good idea. My new main server has two pools, with the second pool being a backup of the main pool, with hourly replications. The old server is currently being tested as a potential off-site backup server, with nightly replications.

Status
Not open for further replies.