Doubt about disks, volumes and failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaacru

Cadet
Hello,
I am newbie in FreeNAS. I am using a hp proliant ml310e gen2 with freenas11, and now I have a problem with some doubts, hoping you could help me.

I have a gamer pc with several disks, 3tb, 2tb, 2tb. They all are in NTFS.

My idea is to place them in the new NAS, but I don't want to format them...is it possible?
Another question, is it possible to configure them separately one of each other, I don't want any special RAID configuration.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
No, FreeNAS uses the ZFS filesystem. It is possible to import data from NTFS disks, but not use them as storage without reformatting them to ZFS.

It is also possible to use individual disks as storage, without any redundancy. This is not recommended, as there is no fallback when a block on the disk goes bad. The data must be restored from backup. If there is no backup, that data is lost.

jaacru

Cadet
THanks for replying. One doubt...is it possible to place hdds in NAS, no matter if they are NTFS and so on..and the only problem is that if one hdd fails, the rest does not loose information..it is, they are independent one from each other..and can keep their filesystem type?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The question is not clear, but appears to be the same as asked before.

FreeNAS only uses ZFS. Other filesystems like NTFS cannot be used for storage volumes in FreeNAS.

ZFS storage volumes made out of a single disk have no redundancy, and a disk failure will lose data.

danb35

Hall of Famer
is it possible to place hdds in NAS, no matter if they are NTFS and so on..and the only problem is that if one hdd fails, the rest does not loose information
Of course it is--you can create multiple single-disk ZFS volumes. When one disk fails, all the data on it will be lost, but the data on your remaining disks won't be affected. It's a silly thing to do if you care about your data, but it's entirely possible. But it has to be ZFS; FreeNAS doesn't support any other filesystem for regular use.

Status
Not open for further replies.