Does smb share permission override pool permission?

sulfy

Cadet
Hi All, I'm new to FreeNAS and would like to know if i have a pool with permission for user "userA" and i have an smb share of same pool/directory. i have given permission for user "userB" to said SMB Share. in this case who will be able to access the file system ? user A or userB?
is adding permission to smb share will affect permission to pool (both are same directory)?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi All, I'm new to FreeNAS and would like to know if i have a pool with permission for user "userA" and i have an smb share of same pool/directory. i have given permission for user "userB" to said SMB Share. in this case who will be able to access the file system ? user A or userB?
is adding permission to smb share will affect permission to pool (both are same directory)?
You should not manipulate permissions on the root of the pool. Create datasets and change permissions there.

sulfy

Cadet
You should not manipulate permissions on the root of the pool. Create datasets and change permissions there.

yes i have made a dataset under my pool, smb share permission will override dataset permission ? or dataset permission will remain same ?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
yes i have made a dataset under my pool, smb share permission will override dataset permission ? or dataset permission will remain same ?
That depends on what you mean by "SMB Share permission". When you set permissions via an SMB client you are setting the permissions as the dataset ACL editor.

sulfy

Cadet
That depends on what you mean by "SMB Share permission". When you set permissions via an SMB client you are setting the permissions as the dataset ACL editor.

so editing "SMB Share permission" will also change "Dataset" permission of the same right ?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
so editing "SMB Share permission" will also change "Dataset" permission of the same right ?
There is only one set of permissions. If you're talking about the GUI option "Edit ACL" in the three-dot menu to the right of the Samba share, then this is probably the case. The middleware ACL APIs are path-based rather than dataset based. If you share a directory inside the dataset, then "Edit ACL" for the SMB share will allow you to edit the ACL for that specific path rather than the entirety of the dataset.