Does Scale have a "full backup" like Home Assistant? (Including all apps?)

fatalskeptic

Dabbler
New to TrueNAS and Scale so apologies for the n00b question. I've looked into some of the search results and didn't find anything "simple". The closest answer I got was a CLI based option. Is there a way to do a "complete" / "clone" the whole system drive? Including all the apps I have deployed with their configurations etc.? And does TrueNAS Scale allows the option to restore from such a backup?

For reference, those familiar with Home Assistant OS full backup and restore.

Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, for starters, the apps aren't stored on the system drive; they're stored on a data pool. As far as the TrueNAS system is concerned, its configuration is stored in the configuration database, which you can download through the GUI. But the apps are a separate issue. You can set up a replication task to send snapshots of that dataset somewhere else, but there isn't a way to download that through the GUI.

fatalskeptic

Dabbler
Well, for starters, the apps aren't stored on the system drive; they're stored on a data pool. As far as the TrueNAS system is concerned, its configuration is stored in the configuration database, which you can download through the GUI. But the apps are a separate issue. You can set up a replication task to send snapshots of that dataset somewhere else, but there isn't a way to download that through the GUI.
duh! Didn't even click for me. What a waste of the 1TB SSD that I installed TrueNAS on if these apps aren't running on the SSD. Explains why everything is slow lol.

I will look into how restore for a snapshot works. Thanks!

fatalskeptic

Dabbler
Yeah, 1 TB is gross overkill for a boot device.
haha yea, why would anyone think that "apps" would be installed on the "system" disk.

My current plan is to figure out how to resintall Scale on a lower sized drive, use the config file method. Then migrate the apps from the HDD to the 1 TB SSD and then use the HDD for plex. I am going to cry because nothing works out on the first attempt lol

danb35

Hall of Famer
haha yea, why would anyone think that "apps" would be installed on the "system" disk.
Not unreasonable to assume, but Free/TrueNAS has never worked that way. But fortunately, SCALE includes a GUI way to move the apps from one pool to another, so it's an easy fix.

majorgear

Dabbler
What about application configuration? ie the settings you enter when you click on “apps->discover->create custom app?”

The app data is in a dataset, but I would hope the app name, image path, port mapping, storage settings, etc would be part of the system configuration. At least in TN Scale.