Do I need 10G to my router too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_r0dd

Contributor
Let's say I had a switch that was only going to be used for switching. It has a couple 10G SFP+ ports and really only had plans to use one port for my FreeNAS at the moment since I have a lot more devices accessing my server now. I do not have a large network, but there may 10 or so devices accessing my server at any given time. Only a couple doing heavy transfers at once. Would I need to have a 10G uplink to my router as well from the switch? Could that be a bottleneck? Pardon my lack of networking skills, but I could use some guidance as I have been looking around and not really getting a clear answer on that.

Your FreeNAS server is directly connected to the switch and then the router is up linked into the switch as well correct? So you would be interested in connecting the heavy clients to the 10 gig on the current switch is that correct?

j_r0dd

Contributor
Your FreeNAS server is directly connected to the switch and then the router is up linked into the switch as well correct? So you would be interested in connecting the heavy clients to the 10 gig on the current switch is that correct?

Right. The router would be simply for routing. The only things connected to the router would be the ONT from Verizon and the switch (when it arrives today).

Then yes I'd add another 10Gb SFP+ the fiber, and anything else to get the heavy user taken care of. The router doesn't need to be changed unless you get 1Gb or 10Gb Internet and want to get 10Gb :P .Otherwise I think you're fine. So just to get it straight the router does DHCP + Internet access, the switch does 1 Gb connections for clients other then FreeNAS and this heavy user which is via 10Gb. This will give the user a 10Gb pipe to FreeNAS but won't increase there browsing the Internet or anything else through the router but would open the door (possibly) to this user accessing multiple 1Gb connections at a time if needed

j_r0dd

Contributor
So 10Gb link from switch to the router would pretty much be pointless as I suspected. Networking is one of those areas that I definitely need a lot more improvement on. Thanks!

So 10Gb link from switch to the router would pretty much be pointless as I suspected. Networking is one of those areas that I definitely need a lot more improvement on. Thanks!
Yea 10Gb to the switch, anything that fast to the router is pointless :/ but otherwise youll be set

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Moderator note: ejected from the 10G primer thread.

Moderator note: ejected from the 10G primer thread.
I just saw this and went "wutt? wut i do?" lol but i saw you moved the posts and made a topic :P thought i did something wrong at first like posted on someone elses thread, thanks jgreco!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, you posted on my thread!

No worries, I am merely trying to do a better job of maintaining some sort of vague order as a moderator.

ric

Contributor
Right. The router would be simply for routing. The only things connected to the router would be the ONT from Verizon and the switch (when it arrives today).
I am interested to know what type of 10gb switch did you purchase for your lab setup?

j_r0dd

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.